1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow light adjustment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Waterchikn, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Hi all, its been awhile since I have been on this
    forum, things look good. I have a question that the search feature (Which is real cool) didn't aquire. I have a meyer plow (Yes I admit it) and I am wanting to adjust the light, they are mounted
    with a 3/4 nut and ball system. I can't loosen the nut without the whole thing turning, I can't beleive the setup of this system, its kinda dumb, but if anyone has an idea where I wouldn't have to ruin the light housing, I would appreciate it.

2. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

I had the same problem.I tried penitrating oil first which didnt work so the next best thing was to get a nut splitter and split the nut off then just simply buy some new nuts.If you try the penitrating oil first make sure you watch the stud so thats its not spining or it would most likely strip the part inside the light which holds the ball part tight.You can get a nut splitter at most hardware stores in the tool section.They dont cost much.
  3. Lou

Lou Member

Get a piece of stock the same width as your headlight mounting
    bracket and 6 to 8 inches longer. Center the stock on the mounting bracket. Mark where the headlight bolt holes are, and drill them out. Mount the stock to the bracket, and then mark where you want the headlight bolts to go and drill them out, and mount the lights, check for fit and adjustment, and lock 'em down.
    I run the cables down the plow mount and secure them with plastic ties. At the end of winter, unplug the lights, remove the ties, then remove the new headlight mount, and store it for next year. If an early storm comes, you can hook it up in about 5 min.
    By the way, I put anti sieze grease on ALL my plow bolts.
  4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

You could also unscrew the light housing to get to the nut that is turning on the inside, make sure that is secure again, then put it back together. Then adjust the lights because the light should hold now instead of turning.
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Depends on the style of light. most have the end of the bolt not accesable. I constantly soak mine in wd40 so I can adjust when I have to.