1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow lifts and angles slow.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by crow5716, Feb 18, 2014.

1. crow5716

crow5716 Junior Member

My 9'2 v blade has always raised and angled the wings much faster than they are going right now.

I checked and topped off fluid. it was a little low. I thought maybe it was battery related so i just had the battery and alternator tested. Both are good.

So what can cause my Plow pump to run so slow now? The battery does get hit fairly hard anytime i raise it our angle it. I can see my battery gauge go from the middle down to a quarter and then back up when i let off the button.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

So does the pump sound the same as before? Did you change the fluid recently to something other than Boss fluid? I used Case Hy-Tran once thinking it was a really good fluid and should be okay in an emergency situation and it was painfully slow. I guess it is made to run at higher temperatures and just wouldn't flow well in the cold, drained and switched and plow came right back to full speed.

3. crow5716

crow5716 Junior Member

Haven't changed fluid recently. I only use boss fluid. I'm starting to think it might be the motor from what I'm reading online with other peoples similar problems. One guy said his plow became sluggish and was pulling a lot of power from his battery every time he moved it. He replaced the motor and everything ran great.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Try bleeding the lines, they may have air in them which will cause slow or stuttering movement as well.

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would start with cleaning connections before throwing a motor at it.

6. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

i'll second this mine was sluggish as well I cleaned all pos/neg connections and put on a heavy duty solenoid and it prked up but also found my alternator showing some age too

7. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

The motors don't last forever, clean this clean that forget the solenoid but order a motor.

Air in the lines? Only way that can happen is if there is a leak or low fluid - move the plow up down back forth a few times and trapped air goes away - order a motor.

If you have done them before, you can change a motor in under 30 minutes, ride the old one into the grave. If you've never changed one, have to work out in the cold or have someone else fix your stuff - replace it now, cause at some point it will stop working period.