1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow lifting under pressure issues

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nybuilder, Jan 27, 2012.

1. nybuilder

nybuilder Junior Member

New to the plows so looking for knowledge. I picked up a 8'6" western UniMount pro plow for my 2001 ford f350 SD. Hooked the plow up it operates fine side to side and up and down. Althought I got a little whinning noise when the plow approached max height sounded like a whinning power steering pump. Well the other night we got a few inches and murphys law kicked in, As I was pushing up to were I was going to bank the snow the plow would rise. I backed off the snow bank and it lifted so under pressure its not rising is this a adjustment or time to rebuild the pump?

PS when I checked the fluid it was clean and full however the previous owner used transfluid .

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

sounds like cranking the relief up might help. or if the pump just can't produce enough pressure, you'll have to replace it. (just the pump down inside the reservoir under the motor, not the whole power unit).
    see the mechanics guide here for the lowdown on both procedures:
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/21936_121704.pdf
    look at page 46
    hope that helps.

3. nybuilder

nybuilder Junior Member

Cool Thanks man. Would I be better off rebuilding the pump or full replacement

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Those pumps are not really rebuildable, just buy a new pump. But check things out first, as buddy said it may just be the pressure control is set too low. Also check the o-ring under the pump. If it is old and not sealing your pressure could be escaping.

5. drstiddy

drstiddy Junior Member

before buying a new pump...as mentioned id try adjusting the pressure control...if when you let the plow down it drops really fast...tighten it up. also i bought the complete o-ring kit and changed them...takes some time...but not hard at all. theres an o-ring under the pump itself (and check the filter) and then change the orings on the solenoid pistons. if those are bad then you won't get a good pressure. made night and day difference on my plow...especially since i added wings which adds weight. o-ring kit is around $30 or so...wont hurt changing them all anyways and if it fixed it...then you saved money...if still need pump...well then your running a like new setup

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

the adjustment for the drop speed is not the same as the pressure relief on the pump.

7. drstiddy

drstiddy Junior Member

but can also affect lift. sorry...was an additional thing to check...should have been more clear.