1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow lifting mechanisms

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by sqdqo, Oct 17, 2010.

1. sqdqo

sqdqo Member
    from mqt mi

Are there any lift mechanisms other than a winch that are worth using? I see the electric units that attach to your front rack but I think I would fold up my rack when stacking snow against the bank. I break my cable at least once a year and have now gone to the synthetic rope but it is already starting to fray.

2. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

There are some spring assisted hand lift mechanisms that work pretty decent, but they are usually specific to the plow tube that you have, unless you can modify them. I have no idea about the electric units?

Anyhow, not quite sure why you are having trouble with the rope fraying. Are you using a fairlead that is made for synthetic rope? If your fairlead has any scratches or dirt on it, it will fray the rope.

I use a short 10' section of 1/4" synthetic rope rather than the 3/16" rope that comes with the winch. I also use a 3' section of the rope sleeve that takes the abuse from running over the fairlead and protects it from the dirt. This will be the third year for that 10' section... and it looks like it will hold up fine this year.

Also, it pays to pull the rope off every once in a while and clean it.

Good luck.

3. sqdqo

sqdqo Member
    from mqt mi

I do have the proper fairlead, maybe I will just get a short section of rope instead of full length that I have on there.

4. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

Yep, get a 10' section of the 1/4" Amsteel rope, and get a 3 foot section of the nylon sleeve to put it through. Keep that sleeve down by the clamp so that it is running over the fairlead and not the rope.

Not sure what kind of winch you have, so getting the 1/4" rope attached to the drum can take a little "fiddling".

5. sqdqo

sqdqo Member
    from mqt mi

I'm pretty sure it's a warn winch

6. Reb

Reb Senior Member
    from Wyoming

7. Mnflyboy

Mnflyboy Junior Member

I bought a 2" wide x 20' long hand winch strap from Northern Hydraulics, cut it in half and put 10' on my winch for snow plowing. Seems to work pretty good and when the first 10' wears out I've got the other 10 footer waiting in the cabinet. Cost was like $15.

Jaye(Mn)

10-12-09_1707.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  8. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

That's pretty cool... how did you attach the strap to the winch drum? :confused:

9. Mnflyboy

Mnflyboy Junior Member

Dave,
    Good ol Duct tape holds the end on....then when you wind er up, the wrapping tension holds er tight. Plowed all last winter and the strap still looks like new. The tennis ball is just to hold the end tight into the rollers when the plow isn't attached.

Jaye(Mn)

10. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

Thanks Jaye... I think I'll make one up for "just in case". :D

11. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I had a polaris 300 with plow and originally used a winch to lift it. It used a lot of battery power and i found myself having to leave it run in the back of the truck between jobs. when the winch took a crap i decided to try something different. grabbed one of those electric lift cylinders ( i believe its a screw type) and made a setup similar to a full size pickup lift. Worked awesome. Lifted faster than the winch and used 1/3 the power. Not as powerful, but at the end where i hooked the chain, i could lift easily 250 lbs. Just removed it all from the polaris, i bought a new honda rancher 420 at and havent mounted it yet. I'll get some pictures up when its done.

12. The LawnRanger

The LawnRanger Junior Member

I have a polaris with Tracks with a Hydraulic lift Boss V-Plow love not having to get out and change blade angle

13. irv

irv Senior Member

just got my strap and installed it. the synthetic rope always got flattened.
    this already is. i have the warn fairlead. but with plastic rollers from
    blitzkrueg.com in wis.

14. irv

irv Senior Member

just got my strap and installed it. the synthetic rope always got flattened.
    this already is. i have the warn fairlead. but with plastic rollers from
    blitzkrueg.com in wis.loks like a neat setup with more loadbearing
    across the roller.tanks!--irv toms
    ps.-what kind of plow setup do you have.cant read the sticker.

15. Mnflyboy

Mnflyboy Junior Member

72" Moose RM3 on a 09 Rhino with Rt30 winch. Plows like a sob. My addition for this year is a summit coolant heater.... to keep me nice and warm.

Jaye(Mn)

16. irv

irv Senior Member

would be great to have for the shop but too wide for sidewalks. my
    neighbors would ***** about not having clean sidewalks for free.
    i do it to help our mail lady out. so who is the dummy here? wear out
    equipment to help others for free.