1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow leaks, now angles slow......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rmartin, Dec 20, 2004.

1. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

I have a 1 year old fisher mm2. The last storm I noticed the right side angle piston was leaking a little. I thought this could have been normal since it wasnt a lot. Today while plowing, it started slowing down while i angled the plow. By the end of the night it was still slow and the pump and or motor was making a whining noise? It still goes up fastz, just not side to side? Any ideas or suggestions. I asume the whining noise is from the pump that may not have enought fluid in it, but what causes the leaky piston?

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Bad seal in piston or damage to cylinder distorting bore. Run pump long enough low on oil and it will damage it. Take it to Fisher as it should have a 2 year warranty.

3. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I agree with Tarkus as far as what it could be. The motor is going to wine if there is little to no fluid in it. Get it taken care of before you burn out the motor. In my opnion there is no such thing as a normal leak. If it leaks it's broken.

4. Tarkus

Very true indeed!

5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The leak could be the wiper,packings or O-ring on the gland nut,they all come in a kit for around $15,no big deal.
    As for the whining and slow angle,there was a problem with the pick up tubes on a number of power units as they were falling out of the block,your dealer should have a "lock" kit that uses one of the pump bolts and slides over top of the pick up tube and keeps it from falling.
    What happens is there is enough fluid in the resevoir to lift the blade but the level drops off and the angle cylinders can't get any fluid.
    This is what it sounds like anyways,I'd check that out.

6. Tarkus

If unit is less than 2 years old as poster implies, it is a dealer issue for free repair.

7. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

By all means,bring it back,just giving him something to tell the dealer is all,i've done a number of them for customers.

8. Tarkus

Yes because something is wrong as I have cylinders over 10 years old that have never leaked a drop. I spray my cylinder rods with oil to prevent surface rust while they are in storage for rest of the year. So far it has worked.

9. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

got it fixed today........there was a pinhole size leak in the piston reservoir. They fixed it now it works like a champ.......thanks for your help.