1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow keeps tipping

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by BlueOvalBoy, Feb 14, 2007.

1. BlueOvalBoy

BlueOvalBoy Member

I must be doing something wrong. I have a steel C-plow that I bought used. I've used it twice and both times the plow tips as soon as I start to move with it angled to the right or left. I'm running with the shoes on it with a 1" gap between the cutter blabe and the ground. I have no more adjustment on the trip springs. Any ideas?

2. dhendrickson

dhendrickson Junior Member

Tighten the springs

I think the springs are adjusted too lightly, go to where the springs are on the plow and using a crescent wrench tighten up the springs. I would make a bet that someone let the pressure out of them for summerizing the plow. I would tighten them up until it no longer tips under normal plowing conditions but not to such a point that it won't tip and break something.

3. BlueOvalBoy

BlueOvalBoy Member

There is no adjustment left in the springs. There are only 2-3 inches of threads on the rod and they are fully exposed. I'm wondering if I should try different springs or make up some kind of spacer to put more pressure on the springs.

4. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Is you truck lifted? it sounds like you my have too high of an approch angle on the plow.

5. BlueOvalBoy

BlueOvalBoy Member

No the truck is not lifted. I did crank the torsion bars to level the front but that should not be enough to cause this. I'm no plowing expert but I have used a western 8' and blizzard 7' on other vehicles and not had this issue this bad. I'm starting to think I should have bought a new western instead of this used c--plow.

Thanks for the responses guys, keep 'em coming.

6. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

put some pics up here and we'll see if we can help.

7. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

My first thought would be that the springs need replaced.

8. BlueOvalBoy

BlueOvalBoy Member

I read on let's talk snow that there is an inner and outer spring on the steel c-plows. I have 2 horizontal trip springs, one on the left and one on the right side of the plow. There is only one spring on a side and it looks like a coil spring fron a small car. Should there be a smaller inner sping also?

I'll try to get pics up this weekend.

9. BlueOvalBoy

BlueOvalBoy Member

I was finally able to contact Hiniker and found out that I should replace the springs and add the inner springs that come on the staight blade. Now all I need to do is find a dealer in the Kalamazoo, MI area.

10. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

I had the same problem initially with my C plow.. Added the inner springs & adjusted per factory specs .. the factory will tell you where to put them.

Get ready to work a bit..but it's worth it.

The new C blade comes with the trip edge, which I understand eliminated the problem.

11. BlueOvalBoy

BlueOvalBoy Member

Goldy- Did that solve your issues? So far I like the c-plow but it's a pain in the rear when these things happen.

12. BlueOvalBoy

BlueOvalBoy Member

I was able to find and order the parts I needed from Central Parts Warehouse.com. Thank god for the internet.

13. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

please post pics of the truck anyway! ive never seen a hiniker C plow on a chevy

14. BlueOvalBoy

BlueOvalBoy Member

Sorry about the pics, I was busy this weekend helping my son with his pinewood derby car. I'll try to get pics soon.