1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow keeps lowering itself slowly

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cclc1021, Jan 18, 2011.

1. cclc1021

cclc1021 Junior Member

This morning when I finished plowing I noticed my plow kept lowering slowly by itself. I've searched older post and still couldn't come up with anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a Meyers E47. Thanks!!!
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Either a stuck valve (A or B) or the lift ram packing are giving up the ghost. How long since you changed the fluid? could there be ice in the system hanging a valve open?
  3. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

The packing cup on your lift cylinder maybe worn out. This is a simple repair. But like Basher said i would check the valves first.
  4. cclc1021

cclc1021 Junior Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I changed the fluid in the summertime so that should be ok. Still kind of new to plowing repair so how do I check to see if the valves are stuck?
  5. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

If you need anymore info let us know.
  6. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

i am having the same problem just noticed it.... luckily dealer who did the install says it's covered under warranty.
  7. mmacsek

mmacsek Junior Member

I probably should not add my two cents because this is my 3rd year plowing. I purchased a new Meyers plow 3 years ago with the E-58 pump and did the same thing. I know it is a different pump. I had this back to the dealer repeatedly and alot of parts were changed under warranty and the same problem. When the warranty was up ,I was told they all do that. I took it to a dealer that used to sell Meyers and it was finally fixed. He installed a new pump base and seal kits. The only down side is I had to pay. Meyers told me if it is out of warranty they don't pay. I am not bashing Meyers and don't want to start a brand war but hopefully this helps. Matt