1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Just Won't move

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Brislo, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Brislo

Brislo Junior Member

I have an electric solenoid western unimount plow (2000 ?) that was working fine. I was plowing, lifted the plow, backed up and tried to drop it and it wouldn't move. It wouldn't lower, or tilt left or right. I parked it, thinking maybe it froze up, as it was 10 degrees that night. Two days later the temp rose to 38 degrees for 3 days and it still wouldn't move, although the motor runs. I removed the motor, drained the fluid, cleaned the filter and put fresh fluid in it, still won't move, but motor runs. I then replaced the pump, still nothing. I swapped out the controller with a buddies and still no better. I checked power at the solenoids as the controller was activated and they had power as required. I removed the solenoids, bench tested them and all seem to work properly and coils were magnetized. I then put a pressure gauge in the plug above the manifold box and it shows ZERO pressure when the pump runs. The pump seems to bog down a bit as it runs, like something is blocking the fluid from moving. I removed the valve manifold block and pulled out the inlet check valve there and it was clean and appeared operable. I have not pulled out the poppet check valve or quill. Anybody got any ideas ??????

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok so you tested the power at the coils, what about the ground? If it won't lower, that kinda sounds electrical.

3. Brislo

Brislo Junior Member

Yes i checked all grounds on the coils with an ohm meter, all were good. You can here the solenoids click when the motor is dis-connected and going through the test from the Western's Mechanic Manual. Soloenoid "one" has power and a proper ground when "down" on the controller is activated.

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You try a different controller

5. dieselss

Ok, use a test light, loose the meter it lies
    Solenoid has gnd? It should have gnd anytime the motor isn't running

6. dieselss

Unimount mechanics guide, starting on page 17 from westerns website

7. Brislo

Brislo Junior Member

Yes, sometimes the meter does lie. I also used a jumper directly from the negative side of the battery just to make sure. I also dis-connected the positive cable on the motor as the manual states (pg48) and tested the cartridge/coil activation. All coils had power and a magnetized field as required and you could here the solenoids clicking.

8. Brislo

Brislo Junior Member

And yes, the controller was swapped out with a known working unit, no change, motor ran, no plow movement.

9. Brislo

Brislo Junior Member

Also, the battery is new, charging system is putting out as it should, all battery connections are clean and tight and the 9 pin plug is new on plow side and truck side.

10. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I have had that happen ended up being the truck side wiring harness right at the plow

11. BIG NICKY

BIG NICKY Member

If the pump is running. I would check all the poppet valves because they are not allowing fluid to move, especially if you here the relays and solenoids clicking. if fluid cant get through those valves the plow wont move. i guess that's where id start.

12. Brislo

Brislo Junior Member

I replaced the plow & truck side harness today because it had what appeared to be a camper style "round" harness on it. There was some corrosion on the wires and i didn't like the way it was on there. So, $149.00 later, with new truck and plow 9 pin harness i still have the same problem. I have not checked the "poppet valves" but i should, one of the few items I haven't. Those seem to have round cap with a round hole in them. The manual says to hit them squarely with a hammer before removing. Anyone know if they pry out or twist out with threads ??

13. dieselss

You pull them out with needle nose plies

14. Brislo

Brislo Junior Member

The poppet valve COVERS, how do THEY come off ? Again the manual just says to hit them squarely with a hammer. Then what ? Pry off or twist off with vise grips ?

15. dieselss

I'm pretty sure there 5/16 Allen head

Screenshot_2014-10-11-12-02-39.jpg

16. dieselss

:the electrical side of "lower"

Screenshot_2014-10-11-12-08-25.jpg

17. Brislo

Brislo Junior Member

Yeah, the cap for the poppet valve on the side is an allen head, the one on top is stripped out pretty bad, now it's just hole on the top of the cap. Good news is it sticks up far enough to be grabbed with a vise grip. Bad news is the pressure gauge is in the way and the only way to remove that is to remove the whole valve manifold block. SO... out I go to tear it apart again..........to be continued !!

18. Brislo

Brislo Junior Member

WELL, I removed the poppet valve from the top and also the one from the side of the valve manifold box. Was sparkling clean and everything looked good. Still no plow movement, motor runs, that's all. All the local experts keep telling me it's something in my harness. I dis-agree. The wiring on the plow is simple really. A pair of jumper cables to the positive and negative on the motor, then 2 spades on each solenoid, one negative (which are all comnnected to the same ground) and the other on each unit the positive side, coming from the controller. The manual tells which should light up when the joystick is pressed, up down or angle, not rocket science. I did this with the jumper cables, motor ran, then i connected all 3 solenoids to the neg. on battery and put power to the solenoids that should of moved the rams and NOTHING.

19. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

When you had the pump out did you check the pressure relief valve?

20. Brislo

Brislo Junior Member

On the pump itself ? I replaced the entire pump with a new one.