1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow jumps and not trips ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kjett, Jan 29, 2004.

1. kjett

kjett Junior Member

I have a 7'6 Fisher MM plow on my F-150, when pushing snow, my plow skims the surface and sort of dances over the last layer of snow. How the heck can I get this thing to dig in to get down to the asphalt? It has a fairly new cutting edge but is worn down about 3/4" to match up to the trip edge. There is plenty of steel left and I don't want to waste the edge and buy another just for 3/4". Another guy I know said that I should just take the cutting edge off and run the plow as is until the trip edge wears down about another 1" or so (until it gets about 1/2" away from the spring bolts). This doesn't sound too wise to me.

Is it possible or cool to re-drill holes in the trip edge to move the cutting edge down some to get more life or should I just take the cutting edge off and wear the trip edge down some?

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

It sounds like the plow angle to the ground is not right. Park on level ground,lower plow and look at it from side on. The A frame should sit parallel to the ground. If the truck mount end is down you are set to low and the cutting edge will not dig in. Check this first and let us know.

3. kjett

kjett Junior Member

I checked and re-veirifed that before. My truck has a 6" lift and running 35" tires, so I added new "frame horns" that were lower than my frame. It is mounted in such a way that when the plow is on the truck on level ground the A frame is almost level with the molder board side being slightly lower than the truck side. On the back side of my A frame are some adjusting pins and 3 slots to adjust the A frame. My plow is located in the center pin holes.

4. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

You need to wear the factory trip edge down to almost touching the spring supports. I guess it also close to two inches from the center of the bolt holes.

5. kjett

kjett Junior Member

I guess that the other guy I know isn't full of crap then. Look's like I'm pulling the cutting edge off for a bit to wear the trip edge down some.

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Yup, except I think its farthur than the 2" on my V blade.

And what that guy told you was right, wear it till its about into the bottom of the spring perches.

7. kjett

kjett Junior Member

Thanks!! I know now what I must do.