1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow issues

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Gbh, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Gbh

Gbh Junior Member

Hello, I'm new to plowing snow. I bought a lightly used Boss snowplow and had it installed by a dealer on my 2006 Chevrolet 2500HD. Have used it now for two storms. This morning I was two hours into plowing and the plow would not work? It is in the raised position angled to the right. The plow lights work, the hand held controller in the cab has power to the angle left and right buttons but NO power to the raise and lower button. Does all power go through that button? Are these controllers known to go bad?
    I appreciate any and all help! Thank you!!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes all power goes through the controller. Can you try another one?

3. Gbh

Gbh Junior Member

I don't have one readily available. Thinking that I'll get another one and if it fixes it great. If not then I'll have one on hand. Again I can not hear the motor at all. If the control valve was stuck...... Would I hear the motor at all? Or would it be more likely that the controller is the issue?

4. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Before buying a new controller, check the wiring connections. Start with the rectangular plug on the front of the truck. Make sure the pins are clean and pushed together tightly. If they seem fine, you might want to remove the front cover on the pump/motor. Check all the wiring connections there. The dealer should be able to help you out. Did you buy the plow from them? Good luck.

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Check your solenoid. Have some one press the remote, and you jump it with a screwdriver

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

or take it to a dealer

7. Gbh

Gbh Junior Member

I put my bride in the truck, she held the down button. I then crossed the two large terminals, I then heard the motor run. However it still would not lower the plow. When the motor ran it sounded like the plow was at its end and would not go any further. I pulled off the front cover that exposes the motor. All connections were on and tight.
    I bought the plow from an individual and had the dealer install it.

8. Gbh

Gbh Junior Member

As well the large plugs from the truck to the plow were clean and had been coated with dielectric grease.

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Down, the motor does not run. You would need to test light the coils and see if your getting power to the lower coil

10. Gbh

Gbh Junior Member

I'll give that a try tomorrow.
    Thank you!

11. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

I had my wire for the "down" solenoid break, we ran a replacement and put a quick connect under the hood.

12. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Thats interesting... Just last week, my buddy had the same thing happen with his. The orange (down solenoid power/hot) wire had power up to where it goes down by the grill and nothing at the plug. We butt connected from where we had power to the replacement plug and it is working again. I wonder if that is a common issue. To the op, first thing to do is make sure the connections by the bumper (truck and plow harness) come together. Too many times, they work themselfs loose and will cause issues you have.