1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow issues (controller or starter relay)

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by dodgesprt00, Jan 15, 2016.

1. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

My hd75 started the season off perfect for the fifth season. Then it started to have issues. I would go to lift the plow and the controller didn't seam to want to work. I would press and press until it did. I progressively got worse until it stopped altogether. I went and got a new controller that worked fine out of the box. After three lots it stopped working completely. My question is: Is this a controller problem or a starter relay problem? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well you would need to test light the solenoid while operating the controller to see if your getting signal to it.

3. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

is it only lift that doesnt work?

i just had similar issues with my md68. i checked all wiring, continuity & voltage....replaced the motor relay & nothing changed. new controller arrived wednesday & everything works as new again.

Btw, motor relay is $30-$40 dollars.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  4. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

This morning I decided to take it to the dealer. They took it right in and it was just the controller. I was in and out in 15 minutes.

5. micklock

micklock Senior Member

I went through three controllers in three years then I made one with a few toggle switches

6. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

good to hear it was fixed & done quickly! The dealer here in Albany, screwed me. charged $100 (1 hr labor) to do absolutely nothing. they guessed at the motor relay being te problem, never tested the controller & then told me it would cost me too much for them to continue....i will never go back there again! lazy thieves.

7. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

how did you do that??

8. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

Thats exactly what said I needed was just a simple buttons to control the plow. The diagnostic part is a good thought but seams to have caused so many problems.

9. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

My dealer is great. Every time I have a problem (which isn't very often) they are always willing to help fix the problem without sticking it to me. The controller I got from them on Wednesday was bad. They took the truck in the shop this morning tested everything just to make sure then sent me on my way.

10. micklock

micklock Senior Member

I used a couple dpdt switches and a spst switch with the wire harness from an old controller