1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow issue

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by filthy_oar, Feb 7, 2016.

1. filthy_oar

filthy_oar Junior Member

I have a fisher mm2 plow. When i went to lift the plow, it didnt lift. I got out and noticed hydraulic oil all over the lift ram. The plow still angled side to side but did not lift. Just wondering if anyone knows what the issue is ? and how i can get the plow raised to drive it home or to a repair place. Thanks .

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You can run it up a snow bank or use your jack to lift it.
    Then shorten the lift chain ,

Is it coming out of the ram or the hose?

we carry spare hoses and fluid for such an occasion.
    If it is the ram see if you can tighten the packing nut.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  3. filthy_oar

filthy_oar Junior Member

It looks like it is coming right up from the ram, if i lift up where the chain is connected, it is kind of loose and there is fluid all inside. The hoses seemed like they were fine.

4. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

You should be able to place a persuader under the cutting edge, pry the blade up, and secure the chains a few links higher. That ought to be enough to hobble you home or to a shop.

Else, someone can lift the blade at the control while you push down on the lift ram. That will lift the blade.

Oil all over the lift ram is indicative of a bad seal and/or ram, requiring replacement. I know on a Western these are adjustable...not familiar with Fisher. If so, you could try adjusting the gland nut a little at a time to see if that stops the leak. If it does, you will then need to top of with fluid.

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The packing/ ram only needs to be replaced if the packing is bulging out of the top. Just tightening the packing nut it should do the trick otherwise

Try tightening the packing nut that is if you dont see anything sticking out.
    then even if some is try it any way it just might seal up enough to use.
    other wise a new ram or a packing kit is needed.

got or can you post a pic?

fyi.
    with a leaking ram don't have someone run it from inside the tuck while your fiddling with it, this will cause you to be subjected to a spray of hydraulic fluid,
    it's most likely all ready all of the way down, put it in float and push it the rest of the way down. its not going up without being repaired.

Your never going to lift it with a pry bar and shorten the lift chain on your own/

Do you have a long pry bar with you??
    Everyone has a jack.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  6. filthy_oar

filthy_oar Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I think im going to jack it up and shorten the chain and take it to a shop.

7. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Huh.

I must have been dreaming and on drugs all the times I've lifted my 5 springs alone (with my persuader).

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Try putting fluid in it. Tighten the packing nut. Wind it in till it stops. Do not go crazy tight. Just till you feel it bottom out. Then see if it will lift and get it home. Then replace the packing if needed.

9. filthy_oar

filthy_oar Junior Member

By the packing nut / ram... when you say is there anything sticking out, what do you mean ? im not with the truck now but i think that packing nut was very very loose, when i lifted the ram from where the chain is connected, it lifted till i got tension on the chain. The nut inside was very loose

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Where the stinger comes out of the cylinder there is a nut that is threaded into the tube,
    It contains packing and a dust wiper,
    Sometimes but not all the time the dust seal can be dislodged,
    It's not a deal breaker.

Ether way tighten the packing nut down firmly,then refill the resivor and test it.

If it still leaks you may need to find a packing kit or a new ram.

11. filthy_oar

filthy_oar Junior Member

Upon further investigation. It looks like the packing nut. As well as the housing unit for the cylinder is cracked. This cpuld be a major issue. Any idea what it costs or what the lift unit is called

12. Randall Ave

Pictures always helps. Did you have the chain to short?

13. filthy_oar

filthy_oar Junior Member

No chain was fine. I'll take some pics

14. filthy_oar

filthy_oar Junior Member

How do I add pics on here

15. Randall Ave

Try to get this moved to the Fisher area. You will get more information