1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow is stuck up/intermittent working

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Baldturbofreak, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Baldturbofreak

Baldturbofreak Junior Member

Hello I have a specific question for the vendor:

What is the output voltage from the pendant supposed to be? I have the wave form in front of me on the o-scope and instead of the 0-5v TTL signal I'm used to seeing the output wave is only about 12mV.

The one little chip in the upper corner of the pendant looks like a Quad nand, perhaps it got smoked somehow? It doenst appear burnt though.

I have one of your plows with the remote, but Wired pendant. I can get the light to turn on and transmit but the plow isnt going anywhere.

It was working when I recived the pickup, so I'm positive all the functions/pump are working correctly. The connection was a little kaa-kaa'd up with corrosion so I cleaned all terminals and re-assembled with die-lectric grease.

Now she's gone silent. I think it's the pendant, judging from the weak waveform.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Does the control flash when you give a command?

Have you checked both fuses under the pump cover?

That's a pulse controlled unit you should have 5 volts input but test for a output signal is difficult. And they give us very little data on it.

Have you tried operating it at the plow unit itself?

3. Baldturbofreak

I sure have, it doesnt function. I think I have it narrowed down to the pendant. It's output wave is just far to low to trigger another transistor. It should be 0-5 v TTL. I can see the waveforms coming out of the pendant using my oscilliscope. However it's only 0-12mV. It can't be right.

Now the question is do I just buy a new pendant or can I get a replacement SMT NAND chip to get the output waveform back to the 0-5v it should be.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

do the lights on the control flash when you give a command?

5. Baldturbofreak

Yup, it's definty transmitting. The output squarewave is just too weak to trigger the control box.

I have even taken the pendant apart and ran my oscilliscope probe to the output pin on the chip itself to make sure it wasnt a cold solder joint.

Depending of the button pushed the output wave has 10 or so small pulses folowed by a long "clear" pulse.

It just is so weird, usually a chip fails immediatly or works forever.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

But that's correct; i think. Perhaps your signal is weak anything's possible, I've just never seen a transmitter that shows transmission (Flashes) that was failed. Have you checked all the connections? I'm assuming (dangerous i know;)) that you've run continuity checks on all the wiring? the twist lock connections are most susceptible to damage. People twist the wrong part of the plug and stress the wire connections at the pins.

Do you have the ability to try another transmitter? Your dealer should have a test unit, it would only take seconds to confirm the functionality of the receiver, the wired are all interchangeable.

That would confirm it's not the receiver.

7. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Glad to see that you are on this one basher as the OP lost me when he started to use terms like Quad nand, oscilloscope, and waveform :dizzy:

I do have a hunch that the problem is in the connector since the transmitter seems to be functioning properly based on his descripiton.

I did understand kaa kaa'd though :D

8. Baldturbofreak

THere's a first for everything I suppose.

It's defitnly not the connetor or wiring fella's, it all spec'd out at under 0.5 ohm.
    Besides I tested the pendant in my lab, I get a 12mV squarewave at the connector, I get a 12mV squarewave at the output pin of the chip right on the circuit board at the logic chip. There is no way that is factory spec. It's would not trigger a TTL device (Transistor - Transistor Logic) unless there was one helluva pullup circuit. Even then it would still be within the indeterminate range. Unless there is an op-amp circuit on the input of the control box. But that could make it extremely sensitive to noise. Running the contorl cable near an elctric motor or heavy current wire would make it go crazy.

Sorry i get carried away with terminology Im an MET/EET major, so I forget sometimes.

But there really isnt any other way to ask for this scecific info.

Im going to get the stereoscope out and get the number off the chip. Maybe digikey has them on the shelf.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  9. Baldturbofreak

well I looked at the chip real good, it's defintly blown up. Channel 4 of the HEx inveter has a nice explosion over it.. Perhaps something in the wiring caused this???? It has overloaded appparently due to current. I have removed the offecding chip, it uses all 6 channels either for redundancy or for the current loading.Chip in upper corner

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  10. Baldturbofreak

I replaced the Hex inverter chip and the plow once again works.