1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow is stuck angle to the left! what is the problem??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by right touch, Dec 17, 2008.

1. right touch

right touch Junior Member
    from 08844

hey guys. this is probably an esy fix to anyone experienced with plows, though I am not so i figured id ask. Borrowed a buddy's plow last night to use for our first storm of the year in NJ. Its an older Meyers AG8.5. The plow was sitting in the woods since last winter and he admits the hydro oil prolly hasnt been changed in 3 years. The plow def looks weathered. When you try to go left and right its jumpy, almost like its stuck. Then, halfway through the night (of course in the middle of the night this would happen) the plow was angled full left and would not go back to the right. You can hear it trying to go, but nothing. We straightened the plow against a curb and left it like that the rest of the night. At some points it would go a little side to side. To me it sounds like the pump is bad or its just really low on oil and needs to be drained and replaced. Any suggestions?

2. Tediesel

Tediesel Member

Change the quick couplers and fluid for starters. When I used Meyer I had that problem and it was often the couplers.

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

start small change fluid....it does wonders

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Definately needs NEW fluid

5. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

If it's been sitting a long time with crappy old fluid, your best bet would be to flush it out thoroughly, clean the screen, and then add new fluid.

6. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

When a myers plow is stuck all the way to the left it is 99% of the time going to be the C-valve... They tend to go from getting hit too hard

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

And have the cross over relief checked for functionality