1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow is creaking

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Fastcar, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

After the last snow I noticed one of the plow's was making a creaking sound when it was being raised. It is a Fisher MM. Any thoughts?

Roy

2. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Are you greasing everything regularly? If you lub all the touchpoints and it still is creaking, you may have a weld or mounting problem. Be sure the mount bolts are tight.

3. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

Mine does the same...it started a few plows after it was new.

4. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I know that with my Bosses, if you hear some poping or snaping when lifting the plow, typically the mounting bolts to the frame need to be retorqued. I have crawled under there and turned some of the bolt up to half a turn before the torque wrench snaps. That seems to eliminate the noise. Otherwise I agree with the above post, check the greasable points on the plow.

5. Willy-D8

Willy-D8 Member

The plow on my older truck creaks alot when raised. I always assumed it was lift chain tightening, twisting and torqueing. That plow is well worn too.

Makes me think twice now though but it has always done it. I wouldn't worry to much if a visual inspection of the whole plow frame shows no problems.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Let it creak...Equipment is supposed to make noise.

7. DAMSLandscaping

DAMSLandscaping Member

Mine does the same also.. its a MM2. I asked about it at a fisher dealer and they said they will make some noice sometimes.

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I don't know about this, but sometime my MM1 creaks while raising. I have found that if you back off the pile just a little bit more that you usually would before raising, it make no noise. Might be something to think about.