1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Insurance

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark4, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Mark4

Mark4 Junior Member

Have sub with one truck looking for reasonable liability insurance in Illinois/seems all of is quotes are very high?:D Any suggestions

2. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i have no ideas but am wondering what people on the east coast pay, specifically NJ,..anyone?, i do strictly residential and have no insurance. but am thinking of adding another truck and i would insure him.

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

I DONT THINK THERES A SUCH THING AS REASONABLE INSURANCE

CALLED MY INSURANCE COMPANY(ERIE) THEY DONT OFFER INSURANCE. CALLED THREE OTHER NEVER CALLED BACK
    A FRIEND OF MINE GOT A QUOTE IN PHILA $2500
    SO HE PLOWS THE FIRST STORM AND A HALF TO COVER INSURANCE. NEEDLESS TO SAY HE DOESNT HAVE INSURANCE EITHER

CARDOCTOR

GO EAGLES BEAT THEM COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I have an agent who's been very helpful with pricing in the Philadelphia, Pa area. Contact me and I'll forward the info.

5. plucnik

plucnik Junior Member
    from Chicago

Try American Family Insurance. I live in a western suburb of Chicago and I got $1 mil general and auto liability for about $1300 a year. This was much less than any other place I checked.

6. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Cardoctor,

I also have Erie Ins. and they provided me insurance for plowing.
    I have ALL my insurance through Erie and have been very satisfied with their rates. I have my homeowners, auto, business, rental properties & vacant building insurance through them. You might want to look into switching everything over to them. It's very hard to get insurance on a vacant house in Phila, but due to the fact that they do all my insurance work, they have gone out of their way to keep me as a client. Their auto wasn't the cheapest, but when you add up the bottom line I saved over 1100.00 a year. I use a local agent here in the burbs if you are still looking.

Mark

7. procare1

procare1 Junior Member
    from iowa

I have to care it as some of my clients are now asking to see it before we can sign a contract they must be getting burned by claims or something so it is a gamble and a loss of business if we do not do it so we have to care it but just watch your situations you may be required to have it.

8. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

I've got to wonder why people would plow w/o commercial insurance? What happens when you drive down the road and hit somebody? A passenger car policy isn't going to insure you if you're using your truck commercially. But that's why I carry uninsured motorists protection, for people like that who want to save a couple bucks.

9. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I have had Erie ins in the past and even made several claims with them all were handled to my satification, in fact I was very pleased with them. However when my agent left I was handed over to an agent who didn't give my account the attention or the time it needed. At that time I had roughly 15 policies with them, I now have 25 and switched shortly after my original agent left. In the end I was discrimanated against because I am a real estate investor / General Contractor. The Erie office I was dealing with was Lacher and Lacher I wouldn't give them another policy if they were the last ins co on the planet. I have no problem writing this post becasue I've sent letters to the highest levels in Erie insurance. The bottom line with Erie is that all there offices are subcrators and they can't control what there employees do or say and that's a quote from the regional mananger at Erie. Need more info email me and I'll give anyone the full scoop.

10. KenP

KenP Senior Member

See below

Last edited: Dec 21, 2002
  11. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I would tread very carefully with them. They did nothing to retain my business. At that time I was buying 1-2 investment properties a month and as I stated above Erie Insurance company's hands are tied when it comes to the "sub contractors"

12. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Ken,

I to am an investor/landlord and have had no problem with them.

I would be very interested to hear what you have to say about them. Please email me when you get a chance

Thank & Happy Holidays!!

Mark

13. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

My liquor liability went up 20% this year. I started calling around for new quotes, had an agent two blocks away tell me that there is no way they could come meet me, I would have to come to their office. I spend over $40,000 on different kinds of insurance a year. Told them thats a great indication of your service level.

My current agent stops by every once and while just to say hi!

Howard