1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by 96f250, Feb 5, 2007.

1. 96f250

96f250 Member

Question can any give me an idea of how much plow insurance would cost me ??

Thank You

KINNCO Senior Member

1 million limited liabilty, annual premium a year cost me 1350 a year.
    Thats on an 02 F250 SD w/ just me driving it
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

At 16 years old? Forget it. I doubt any insurance company would write a commercial policy.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

being 16, youd have to have it in your parents name
  5. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

16 wow I wish I was 16 again.I would be out sledding heck with snowplowing.But to answer your question.MCW said it you would have to have your parents put it in there name.It would be a commercial vehicle policy then for you to drive it you would have to be listed as a employee.I think it is going to be to much of a pain in the rear.I would start with blowers for a few years wait until you are 18.

6. CHPL

CHPL Member

nj insurance

We have 2 trucks, commercial liabilty of $1 million with a snow plowing rider.
    Trucks are around $2900 a year
    Snow plowing rider is $1900 a year.
  7. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Im just curious, can you get a commercial policy from like December-March? I don't see the point in having a commercial policy for plowing in July. Same with Liability insurance for your business, can you have that for just the season?
  8. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

well here in mass you can get "SR" plates (Snow Removal) but then you can only drive the truck from Nov - April, unless it snows in July
  9. Mick

from Maine

With my insurance company - no - unless you list a business in the other months. The way it works, is that they issue the policy for one year. Say the rate is $800/yr. Now if you have another business that you would not be doing those months - say landscaping - you could combine the rates. So, if Landscaping rate is $300/yr, it would look like:

1/2 yr of Landscaping - $150
    1/2 yr of Snowplowing - $400
    Total premium for yr - $550

But, if your other business is, say, auto repair which you would be doing year round, you would pay the full yearly premium for both because you would need the auto repair rating year round. If you have no other business than snow plowing, your premium would be based on annual rate for plowing - $800.
  10. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

i have my contractors ins. for flooring and i added snow plowing i pay only around 500.00 for the year for a 2 million dollar policy for both plus truck and van ins. is seperate
  11. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Mass SR plates actually are good all year round. They're the same as commercial plates, and cost the same, except the term runs sep 1-aug 30 instead of typical commercial plates which run jan 1-dec 31. They also just have SR at the beginning of the numbers.
  12. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

yea i wasnt sure about that, cause i asked my insurance agent about it and he had know idea... figured you would correct that for me xysport
  13. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

In anyones policy does Street Sweeping come automattically with your snow plowing insurance. Every year when I renew it is automattically included. Weird I thought.
  14. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Mine too,

Are you using Farm Family?

15. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Some things never change ,lol. Good to hear from you Mick.
  16. Mick

from Maine

:waving: , Mike.
  17. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

Any body have a good insurance company? Mine sucks I have never put a clam in but because they decided snow removal is now a high risk industry they want to jack up my rates :realmad: Got to love allstate :dizzy: I just don't know whos good and whos bad because I've had the same company forever. Thanks Nick
  18. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

What I do. Because during the summer I don't use all my trucks in business I put them on a personal auto policy, then in Nov, switch them back. I always have at least on truck commercially insured, the other ones (3) I littery use a a person vehical or to tow my boat.
    One company suggested pulling them off the road, but if I need them I want them avalable, plus I dont like the idea of not having things move (all the parts) for 6 months, knowing my luck a drive shaft would rust solid or somthing. Then the money I saved plus would be wasted.
  19. snyps

snyps Senior Member

Nick look at Farm Family Insurance. I can give you more information about then later today when I call you about those lots.