1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow insurance.....what r you paying

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by red07gsxr, Oct 20, 2008.

1. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

anyone in CT have a good place to get plow insurance. my insurance company wanted 1200 for the insurance. what r you guys paying?

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

$1200 for what insurance? GL or comm auto? also what kind of coverage?

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

1700 two vehicles personal auto with utility/plowing riders damage up to 100k 300max.
    two drivers with three speeding tickets and a failure wear seatbelt violation.

agent says they will pay any plowing damage but couple members on this board said the company has a issue with paying out claims.

4. 06HD BOSS

100k Bri? dunno if i could sleep at night with that.

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

sounds like your hooked up with a top notch company bri:rolleyes:

6. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

i pay around 3000 a year for million dollar liability with full coverage for truck and plow estimated value of 35000 i could'nt sleep with anything less then a million and i dont know of any commerical accounts around here that dont require at least that

7. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

what companies are you going with, i was looking for a low coverage. just enough, i was thinking 250k or 500k. i really dont want to dish out 1200 bucks, i dont have any tickets at all.

8. bribrius

Im not sure how i feel about it yet. most people drive around with less than that everday.
    granted they arent plowing though.....I could up it or shop around some more..
    as long as i dont plow over someones kid i ought to be good. yah think?
    More concerned that its a combination policy so it doesnt seperate business/personal. not sure what that may cause for issues.

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

How you going feel when you have to dish out 250K because you got sued for 3/4 Mill and you only have 500K ins?

10. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i understand what you are saying. when you go to the insurance company what are you requesting. commerical insurance?

11. bribrius

you could say that same statement to 99 percent of the people that drive on the roads everyday.
    hell, i read once 10% of people have NO insurance.

12. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I can't see doing that much damage to have that much insurance. If you have REAL equipment ie. dozer, pusher, bob cats.........but then you have to get big boy insurance anyway.

13. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i would like to get insurance this year so i would really like to get a low amount. with the economy so bad i dont want to dish out alot of cash right now. 250k -500k is enough for me. is plow insurance commerical insurance?

14. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Commercial insurance is usually refered to as General Liability, I carry a 1 mil ber accident 2 mil cap. It's not cheap, but I would like to keep my house and everything I have worked for for the last 15 years. If you are the contract holder and not a sub, you would be risking eveything for making a few extra bucks. Just isn't worth it. Someone slips and falls and scraps their knee, some lawer will get 25K out of you. Don't blame me, write a letter to congress about how lawyers are crooks, but have fun with that since they all have lawyer degrees anyways

15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Back into an atm at a bank.
    Hit a power box that is burred in the snow and push it off it's pedestal.
    and shut down a restaurant and a gas station.
    or hit a pedestrian with your plow.
    You start to think do i have enough coverage.

16. M&M

M&M Senior Member

To break it down properly. A Commercial Auto Insurance Policy is to cover anything that you do while you are in the truck plowing. Hit the building, hit a car, hit a pedestrian, etc. A general liability policy is designed to cover you against issues that happen without the truck and plow involved. Slip and falls, etc. That being said, you can be sure that when you have a claim against you, the lawyers will attack both policies that you have. That is the nature of the beast.
    Now, be very cautious about insurance companies as their business is to pay out as little in claims as possible. Be sure to spend some time with the commercial insurance agent, be honest about what you are going to be doing, and doubling your coverage will only increase your premium a little,
    comparatively.
    Lastly, I hate writing checks to my insurance companies but it is a neccessary evil. I'm 31 and have never filed a claim on any of my policies. Knock on wood! I do know that it will happen, just don't know when and for how much. You don't have to be wealthy to have "too much to lose." They will make you pay for the rest of your life even if you don't have it. Again, that is the nature of the beast.

17. 06HD BOSS

Just imagine being in the zone while plowing, backing out of a drive without completely looking around, somebody coming down the road smacks into you, hurts their neck and back...i would guess theyre sueing you for a little more than 100k!

18. 06HD BOSS

GSXR- ive got Selective insurance. 1300 a year for 1mill/3mill coverage, with plowing. the plowing added $400.

19. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

$2600 per year. 1mil/3 mil coverage, commercial auto for the trucks in my sig and all have full coverage except for the GMC. All my plows, tractors, trailers, mowers, etc are covered too. Oh yeah, work comp for 5 guys also.

20. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

M&M I agree,
    pricing and damage claims vary in each state, sometimes a contract is better suited to pay out of pocket for small claims avoiding being placed in risk pool with others who have a worse record. JMO