1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Installations

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mowmannnn, Feb 3, 2003.

1. mowmannnn

mowmannnn Banned

After reading this board quite a bit, it seems that quite a few people didn't install their own plows. Was this a warranty issue? Or did you guys just prefer to have the shops that sold you the equipment install the equipment? Just curious. When I bought my plow, they wanted $600 to install it, and they couldn't get to it for at least a week. I took everything home, read the destructions........and slapped that bad boy the the truck! Really didn't take me long, about 7 hours on my first. Since then, I have installed several plows, Western and Meyer:D Anyways, $600 seemed like a lot of my money to be spending on someone to install my equipment! What were your reasons?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I had no idea of how to put a plow on a truck. Good thing I didn't try as it took a person at the dealer with experience seven hours. Had to take the bumper off and grind down one side to fit. They wound up giving me a loaner car for the night. Told me the mods were just characteristic of the truck - '90 Dodge 150. For me, it was well worth the $300.

3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I do my own installs and some for friends also,my last plow was dealer insatlled because he wouldn't sell cash and carry and it was a last minute purchase for the season and i had to have it,some of these guys run pretty big business's and find there time is better spent in some other aspect of the business,i myself enjoy the work and can usually make time for it,your right though,they are not that hard!

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

If Im not mistaken, when my truck was bought new by my brother in 1992, he took it to the place to have a plow put on. They told him $2500 for the plow you see in my signature INSTALLED. He told them to do it. I dont know how much of that was labor to install, but $2500 for the whole set up and labor seemed like a really good deal. Mike

5. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

I have installed 3 of the plows I have owned. I did do the subframe a wireing transfer on my truck i bought a year ago. All are boss plows. I have it down to about 4 hrs on the new superdutys.

6. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Installed all my own,,, and some others for a company I use to work for... :D Nothing like cursing at a mount at 1 in the morning. :drinkup: It does not help unless you wait until after your plow is installed, but we all have to learn sometime....

7. mowmannnn

mowmannnn Banned

I thought mounting up the brackets was the hardest part beings usually I was by myself and trying to hold the heavy parts up to the truck and bolt them on. Thank god for air tools is all I have to say! I have always been into electronics, car stereos, KC lights, home audio, and what not, so the wiring wasn't really a proble either. It's funny though, the very first one I did, I thought I was making all the wiring look nice and purdy. But, by the time you have done your 4th or 5th plow, all the wiring is a snap and it looks ten times better than the first! Not to mention the time has decreased incredibly since the first. ha ha! I do have to admit one thing though, I think the Ford Superduty's I have put plows on were a heck of a lot easier to do installs on than my Chevy's. Don't get me wrong, I love my chevy, but Fords have a lot more access. Guess it is because they have to get worked on a lot more frequently! ha ha !

8. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

It seems that if you install your own plow, you know what goes where and why, and when (if) it breaks, you know how to change it without guessing.. works for me....

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'm in waterchikn's camp. I like to know how things go together so I'm not learning how to make a repair in the field. I also mount my controls where they will work best for me and not where an installer thinks they should go.

10. mowmannnn

mowmannnn Banned

As far as controls go, I just have my touch pad laying on my left leg. That leaves my right hand free to shift and steer. My arm rest on the door is perfect for me to lean on. I too, like to know how everything goes together.

11. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

i chose to take my plow to my mechanic to install. I saved a little money, not much, but i had it all done in a day rather then dropping off the truck for a week and they working on it whenever they had some free time.

12. racer67x

racer67x Junior Member

its probably nice to be able to take your truck to someone and say here's a check,I'll be back later but sometimes its better to do it yourself so you can tailor it more for your conditions.in my case I live on a farm with a long rough driveway,we made stronger support brackets and used 3 inch angle instead of the 2 inch that came with it for the drop bars,basically we beefed up the unit to take the abuse of non pavement driveways and such.its nice to know that when you stop for gas and do your " walk around " that everythings still where it was last time you looked and not hanging crooked from those holes you didn't know were there...

13. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

MY first Western 10 or so years ago was $1300
    installed. That plow was on 4 new GM trucks. I
    learned to install , fix, etc.....................
    My new Western Ultra was $2800 installed (with
    bedliner too).
    I like the plow dealer to do the first install while its
    gonna be under warranty in case of problems.....
    So they won't give me that "Ya installed it wrong
    so NO warranty routine".
    If its used and you can spin a wrench...Go for it
    install yourself and save some bucks...........geo

14. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

My dealer put my current plow on my truck for $250 last year. Dropped it off at 7 am picked it up at lunch, can't beat that.

15. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Iam with pelican, and waterchicken on this one i install my own has well , i to like to know how everything is put together, i also like to mount my relays in the same spot on all the trucks , What i do is purchase plow in oct and i make three nights of it 1st night i assemble the plow itself put it on the dollys and wheel it outside 2nd night i install the frame and hardware on the truck , 3rd night i do the elec hook up then attach the plow and make sure everything works. I too think 600 bucks is a little pricey and most of the western dealers iam sure can do it with there eyes closed. It takes me about 6hrs total and i kinda enjoy doing it plus if i do have problems i can blame me.

16. wyldman

wyldman Member

Same as most of the others.

The dealers around here do a terrible job.They don't torque bolts,and they fall out,and they do a shoddy job with wiring.Just creates lots of problems later on.

If you don't have the facilities to do your own install,then get a dealer to do it.Afterwards,check over all the bolts,tidy up the wiring and put anti-corrosion compound in all the connections,especially in the plow lamps and sockets.It will pay off later.

17. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I install all of my own. But I've looked at the sno-way dealers near here and they only want $150.00 to install them for that price I might be tempted to let them do it.

Dan

18. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I did the install on my 96 and 98 GM's. Not hard at all.

19. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Used to do my own installs on used plows. With the past two, the trucks and plows were new. Plow dealer only charges $200 (4 hours) to install a Fisher on a GMC. He'll also install my used Fisher for that price. So quite a deal, considering you don't have to haul the plwo home and in my case , the garage ain't heated.

Not sure I would trust it to a car dealer, use a plow pro. My car dealer 'tried' to make deal for me, got me his price for the plow and said he would install for almost nothing with his guys. Unfortunately the price was only $25 less than the installed price at the Fisher or Western dealer. I figured $25 was worth the price of a pro. I have heard stories of certain places around here leaving off little brackets, 'that weren't really needed'. Ended up in some cracked frames. I guess that is why some like to do it themselves.

Felt like an idiot taking mine off the trade-in though. I 'm still stuck in the sixties and 70's when they used to put grills and such on with screws! Took me a good hour to figure out how to get the headlights and grille off.:confused: When I dropped off the new one, I started to walk away from the truck, looked back to admire the thing and the guy already had the lights off !

20. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Ed, LOL,I have yet to run into a factory "clip" that i could figure out!As mechanicly inclined as i am,i feel like an idiot when it comes to these stupid clips,some push,some pull,some slide left,right,up ,or down,some seem to do all of the above,i always break those stupid things before i figure them out:realmad: