1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow installation

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by CJSLAWNSERVICE, Oct 23, 2009.

1. CJSLAWNSERVICE

CJSLAWNSERVICE Senior Member

I will be installing a new boss v-xt snowplow next week and was wondering if anyone had any tricks they wished to share that would make the process easier. Its going on a 03 f-250. A friend of mine said I should go buy a half dozen 1/2" drill bits .... and prepare for about 6 hours of war. What do you all think?

2. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I have put 5 plows on Ford trucks ranging from 1995 - 2006 and the worse part is drilling the frame. If you have a good sharp bit that is all you need. The Super Duty was easier than the 1995.:drinkup:

3. Realdealoo8

Realdealoo8 Member

To drill the frame start with a small bit then use a good step drill bit. Its so much easier. Just be sure to use a good brand name one so it lasts.

4. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

i just installed my first plow ever a few weeks ago and i was very nervous about it too. its a piece of cake if you have any mechanical aptitude at all. all you need is one good drill bit. as long as you use some cutting oil it blows through it like nothing. dont run the drill at full speed, do it at like 3/4 or so and let it really cut. read the instructions, it is super easy on your truck, i have an 06. take the bumper off and bolt the 2 front pieces in and bolt the 2 elbows on top of the frame and bolt em to those front pieces. im not sure how the back pieces go cause on my truck it is different but jsut put it all together loose and drill your holes then. when you bolt it all together it will pull it all together nad should work out nicely. just take your time and follow the instructions. i was overwelmed to start with but felt like an idiot for being so worried, it is really easy to do.

5. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

also same goes for the wiring. follow the instructions and its all very easy. i can look up the color codes for the wires for the headlights and signals if you need it. the hardest part is making it all look professional. that takes the most amount of time. i did my mount in about 3.5 hours once i got rolling and the wiring took about 2 if that gives you an idea.

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Electric drills break bits and wrists, air drill just stop.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Read, understand and follow the instructions.:nod:

And drill bits last longer and the job goes quicker. In the situations you can use them the proper lead bit followed by a well lubed reams in a high speed air drill work great. I have a screaming 3/8 Snap On air drill rigged with a half inch chuck. Sucks with a bit over about 5/16 but is the Sh!t with a ream up to about 3/4 or chasing threads with a HS tap. I never drill pilott holes if I can avoid it.

8. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

When we used to work on OTR trucks fabbing tool box brackets, auxilary tank brackets, ramps for RGN trailers i got turned onto these reamer bits...there is NOTHING that compares to them...simply bad to the bone. I have a 5 piece set that starts with reamers as small as an 1/8" hole and goes to 3/8" and then everything upto 3/8" started hole upto 1" initally we used to rent magnetic drill stands when we had a bunch of rigs to fab on, clamp a 1/2" drill in them, turn the magnet on and had a drill press in a sense on the truck since the metal they use for OTR trucks is thick and HARD!!!!

Once the Mac guy showed me these bits i bought a set, and the next week every guy in the shop bought/ordered a set....they work awesome, and just add a little oil as you drill to keep it cool and they'd bore 5/8" holes through these big truck frames like butter, the sharpest drill bits did'nt hold a candle to them.
    [​IMG]

9. redplowman

redplowman Member

Put my first one on last week. Printed off installation manual from Boss's website and went to town. Everyone is right, drill bits are key to success, start small and progress to the larger bits. I do believe the correct size drill bit is 5/8 though. Double check that before you buy the bits. Wire harness is a piece of cake, follow all the recommendations of the manual for the wire terminations. Good Luck!