1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Install, What pieces of the truck need to come off

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ramair2k, Nov 8, 2013.

1. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

I am getting my Fisher HT installed next week at JC Madigan's. Just curious as to what needs to be removed from my truck in order to do the install. Headlights? Grille? Entier Front bumper etc...Truck is a 2013 Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab. I'm kinda hoping they let me watch the install, but doubt that will happen. Anyway...just curious if anyone knows how far they need to dismantle the front end.

Thanks

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

They're professionals your truck will be fine

3. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Absoutely. Me wanting to watch the install was more for interests on how its actually done, not to watch and make sure they dont break something.

4. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Everything comes off that you listed. Sometimes air box As well to make wiring easier

5. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Cool, thanks. Very excited to get it. Seems like you know a lot about installing one. Let me ask you another question. My front bumper has a opening in it, will they snake the electrical connectors to that opening so I can just reach in and grab them and when done, tuck them away? Also, the air dam/lower valance. Do you think they will cut/notch that for me and put it back on or will they just remove it and throw it in my truck.

6. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

They will if you tell them that's how you want it. I personally remove the air dams and put them in the truck most of the time. So the customer can put it back on in the off season

They can notch it as well, it depends on what you want to do.

7. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Ok cool. Will be sure to mention it to them when I drop the truck off. Would rather have the valance notched than completely removed.

8. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Personal preference. Google some pictures of your truck mount with valence notched to see what it looks like

9. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I just get annoyed when people have to stand over my shoulder and watch every move. The worst are when people try to tell you how to do something. Some people are actually helpful...others not so much lol

Was doing ball joints on a dodge one time and they guy told me I needed to use a smaller hammer. I told him no I know what I'm doing. Told me if I hit it with a dead blow again that he is getting my boss. I said OK. Handed him a small hammer and said have at it. No budge. After that no one was allowed in shop for insurance reasons lol

10. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

I hear you. I work in IT and hate when people look over me when fixing an issue so I get it. I was just curious as to the whole process of truck side wiring and push plate install etc...They probably wont let me in the shope either due to insurance purposes and I get that. Guy on the phone told me to block off 4-5 hours for the install and crappy part is that I am waiting for it. Have no choice as the place is an hour away from where I live. Hopefully it doesnt take that long...:cool:

11. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Here is the opening in the bumper I was talking about earlier. Hoping the plugs can just go in there.

[​IMG]

12. Snoviper

Snoviper Senior Member

My installer recommended notching the air dam on my 2012 Ram to try and keep some of the original airflow.He said if they just leave it off sometimes more grime makes it's way up in to the engine compartment and under body. I ended up letting him notch it, looks pretty good. It costs about $300.00 to replace, but if I decide to replace it later on maybe I can find one cheaper on ebay by then.

13. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I wouldn't think you need to remove the bumper to do a modern snowplow install. Maybe 20+ years ago they did. You can probably find the install pdf on Fisher's site. Grille maybe.

14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

You usually need to. Dodge installs you do for certain. Its not a big deal only 4 bolts.

Gives your more room to work