1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow install help needed!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jrblawncare, Oct 9, 2000.

1. jrblawncare

jrblawncare Senior Member

I have a western uni-mount system # 60120 6'6" it is 3 years old that sits on a '87 Dodge Dakota, my plan is to install it on my '94 Dodge 3/4 ton truck.I was told today that this would not work,that the 6'6" plow was to small for the big Dodge..when the plow is turned it would not push the snow that was in front of the wheels because the wheel base is larger,He said I need to go with a 7'6" blade,Do you agree with this??? it will cost me about 800.00 more than I thought.
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Yes you need a bigger blade. Sorry to break the bad news to you.

3. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

why even consider it?

not to offend you, but why would you want to put a plow from a little truck onto a 3/4 ton truck? when that plow is angled, it'll be around 5'6". that's not enough to clear the wheelbase. i'd look into a 7'6" or an 8', look around in the classified ads for a used one if you don't want to spend a lot.

4. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

IS the 6'6" Western even a commercial use plow?
  5. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

It all depends are you using this truck for parking lots or sidewalks?This would make a great side walk machine, you wouldn't have the trouble with those pesky spots where your tires tracked down the snow,you should be able to just straddle the walk.

In all seriousness I had this plow on a S10 blazer and the width is the least of your problems,this blade nor the number of trip springs are heavy enough for that truck.$800 is nothing if you fold this plow up into a little ball,try to sell the plow, lots of home owners love those things.Advertise it in the acreage section of your local paperit should sell.So in conclusion DO NOT PUT THIS PLOW ON THAT TRUCK,scrap prices are not that good right now.Have a Merry Christmas.
  6. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

You crack me up.
  7. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Oh wow my life now has purpose I guess I'll go another day now.
  8. jrblawncare

Thanks guys,The only reason I even considered doing this is the whole Western system the way it sits is FREE to me from a family member up north,I just have to go get it!!Many parts from the system I can use...So now I guess I have to send a little more to make it right,still can't beat the price...
  9. jrblawncare

I tried to edit but was to late..If you have any other Ideas or suggestion for me please feel free to add them..I will be making the swich in 2 weeks and I guess I will go with the 7'6" blade..Tanks again John
  10. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

I would buy a least an 8' if your aquiring a new plow.

Our larger pick-ups all have 9' or larger plows on them.

You talking about only a few lbs. more and a few $ more.

I come from the school of doing anything to increase productivity.
  11. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

How about a set of prowings?
  12. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

You will not get the full value of your 3/4 ton with such a small plow.I would not do it .So you got it for free but it will cost you in time and agravation.Plus like every one said it will not clear your wheels.
  13. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Its almost as cheap to go and get a s10 to fit the plow as it is to buy a new plow to fit your bigger truck.
  14. jrblawncare

Almost...I think I will stay with the bigger truck.Well,the frost is gone got to go do some lawns to pay for the new plow.

[Edited by jrblawncare on 10-10-2000 at 03:58 PM]
  15. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The only item that will work between the two is the hydro pak and the wiring and controller that goes with the hydrp pack.
  16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Go with an 8' plow regardless of type. The Western 8' proplow is a great choice. A 7.5' just barely covers your tire tracks. Just the same as I would go to a 9' for a dually. If you plow a curved lane the rear tires will touch the unplowed snow and throw it into the road. Plus all 8's are built better and stronger.
  17. Snow Pro

Snow Pro Senior Member

Take the 6'6" blade and a dollar down to the gas station and they might give you a cup of coffee. Why in the world would you ever waste your time, gas and truck wear and tear with a blade that couldn't plow my living room in under an hour? We don't hire anyone with a blade less than 7'6". Even then we "strongly suggest" they put wings on it. If they can't afford them, we buy the wings for them and take it out of their first paycheck. Put wings on a 7'6" blade to make it 9'6" and cut your time almost in half! This makes you a lot more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
  18. jrblawncare

OK..OK..I get the point,I will go with the 8'blade.The dealer told me a new system for my truck would be 2829.00,Now using the parts from the old system as Dino said making the changes needed including bigger blade will cost about 1300.00 its saving me around 1500.00.I just wanted to keep my costs as low as posible..Remember my avg. snow here is 10 to 15 inches a year and I may not even push this year.Now if you really want to help the new SIMA guy out..call me or I will call you...Lets talk about speading salt or ice melt..I beleave I will sell more of that here...I'm having a @#%& of a time tring to price this service..THANKS John