1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow install /electrical problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by javaman70, Nov 18, 2007.

1. javaman70

javaman70 Junior Member

Hi, OK I have a 1991 gmc 1500 and just installed an meyers classic ez mount 7.5ft now since the hookup my speedometer is stuck at 25 mph my brake light (on dash) is on and i hve no heater/ac controls(digital) and won't go into 4wd now. What should i check Battery, Altenator,etc.... this is all new to me. thanks for any help :confused:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check all your fuses in the panel. You could have blew one or more during the plow install.

How/where did you connect to the truck to feed power to the plow controller?
    What style plow lights do you have (old Truck lite or the newer Night Saber style)?
    How did you tie them into the truck wiring?

3. javaman70

javaman70 Junior Member

All fuses are good(replaced with new just to be sure) Lights are truck lite style. pump hooked up to battery through solenoid and lights are tied in to work with the truck lights(at same time) through the main harness(I also tried splicing the wires in the harness so that when the plow lights were on the truck lights weren't). There were no problems before i hooked up the plow. I am thinking Battery weak or need a second on and possibly weak or low amp Alternator.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you actually check the fuses to see if they had power with a test light? The reason I ask is because the components your having problems with: HVAC controls, 4WD, and brake each have their own fuse BUT all three fuses are tied together from the same power wire that feeds power to the fuse panel from a main power wire the feeds the fuse panel. Start with checking those 3 fuses to see if they have power coming into them.
    As long as these problems are happening all the time and not just when your operating the plow, I think you definitely have wiring problem, not a battery or alt problem..

5. javaman70

javaman70 Junior Member

OK just checked no power. So now I have to find were the wire is loose or broken.I will let you know how i make out. thank you very much

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's what I thought. First check the back of the fuse panel to see if the feed wire is broken off there..
    Then start under the hood and follow the harness out of the firewall and across the engine..it will split and part of it will go down near the starter where the fusible links are..check those carefully..they may be shot. Then follow the other half of the harness up to the junction box on the passenger side of the firewall...there should be 1 or 2 more fusible links there also..check all these fusible links to make sure they have power in and out of them.

7. javaman70

javaman70 Junior Member

Alright....all fixed....loose connector on steering column. thanks for the help.