1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Inopertive after fluid evacuation

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Lawnman883, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

Hey guys,
    Over the summer we took the plow apart, refinished it, and installed all new hoses. Hooked it all back up and filled resivour with new fluid. Well, no functions work. i've pulled the valves and the relief valves and run the pump with each out and it pours out fluid when they are out, but when it's all put together i get nothing. I checked the pickup tube in the resivour and its good. the motor run fine. i loosened the hoses for the angle rams and get a little trickly of oil but even when pressing the angle buttons get no forceful oil flow. the draw latch also wont work and i loosened those hoses and again no forceful flow. i removed the solinoids that I could get off and tested for magnetic pull and only felt a strong pull with a couple of them. The others I took a 12 volt battery tester (its all I had where i was working on it) and stick it acorss the wires on the top of the solinoids and would see a flicker when the function buttons were pushed but just a flicker, no solid current. The truck side harness is a new repair harness and the plow side is in good shape. I greased the large connector to be sure i was getting good connection there, made no difference. the draw latch wont move using the switch on the a-frame and also the switch in the cab. i had to chain the plow up to my front tow hook to get it home and it's stuck in that position. The tail of the draw latch is dragging the ground so its not ideal and pretty much cant use my truck now because of this 1,000lb of dead weight on the front.

If I'm forgetting something please send suggestions. I really don't know what I missed.

Note: The instructions in the blizzard owners manual make it sound very simple to fill the plow and rams with fluid...is it really that easy??

Thanks guys

2. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

Update:
    Now the plow controls in the cab do nothing. I think I've narrowed it down to an electrical issue between the control pad in the cab and the solinoids on the plow...
    Any ideas of what fails on these in terms of electrical??

3. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Yes filling the plow with fluid is as easy as it sounds. On a new plow you fill it and it primes itself. I would have to suspect something in your newly repaired harness. There is a fuse inline to your controller that will blow if you have a short . Possibly you could have blown that when you were testing different things. Do you know someone else with a blizzard ? If you could hook the plow up to another truck you might be able to rule out the truck side or plow side as your problem.

Good luck ,shaun

4. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

check the wiring and what is your pump pressure??????

5. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

Checked continuity for complete truck side from the switches to the front bumper and was all good. Found had no ground from the large pin on the plow side to the solinoids. Had ground at pump motor but thats it. Ran a jumper wire from the large black wire that attaches the ground at the motor over to one of the function solinoids and now it works like a charm. i have no idea what happened in my plow side during the summer, but somehow I lost all my solinoid grounds...

6. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

replace the diode plug assy.

7. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

Oh if the diode board fries it cuts the ground? I was not sure how to test that board. Do you know average cost of replacement?
    thanks