1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Information

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gilllawnservice, Jul 31, 2003.

1. gilllawnservice

gilllawnservice Junior Member
    from Midwest

I have a 99 Ford F250 Super Crew 4 x 4 PSD (Oh Yeah!!)

I would like to purchase a plow assembly for it and do some smaller contracts. (ie.. Gas Stations, Apartments, Storage Facilities, etc)

I've heard all kinds of suggestions regarding type, shovel width, steel, etc.

A few questions:

Can the stock suspension handle the weight of a plow? (if not what do I need to do?)

What type of plow would provide the best performance, Uptime, etc) (Cost is an issue to some degree but I need the reliability first)

Should I have the vendor install it or install it myself? (Never done this before)

Anything you think is pertinent that I may have missed.

Gill Lawn Service
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Welcome to Plowsite. A couple things first. If you could give us a better location as the midwest is a pretty big place. Second, coming from lawnsite I know that you must know to search.

Your truck will handle a variety of plows from a variety of manufacturers. The best bet is usually to find a dealer near you that will give you good service and go with one of the brands they carry. I would say 8ft minumum for that truck. Boss, Western, Meyer and even Fisher are now in the Midwest providing excellent plows.

Shop around a bit then come back with what you have found for prices etc and we can give you more help.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite :waving:

Your truck will handle a plow no problem.Adding a set of Timbren load boosters will help as well.You can also upgrade to the "X" code springs if necessary.

With a truck of that length,you'll want a 9 ft plow.A V-blade is also an option.You will also want to try and target larger contracts where you won't have to get into tight spaces with such a big truck.

What brand of plow will depend on what is available in your area,and who can provide the best service.It sucks being stranded in the middle of a storm and no servicing dealer nearby.I'm partial to Western,but any good plow will work.

If you've never installed a plow before,I recommend you let the dealer do it,so you know it's done right,and won't damage your truck or wiring.

Do a search on Plowsite,there are a lot of threads on plow selection,suspension upgrades,etc.

Check out Chuck's new FAQ page.Lots of links to threads on Plowsite with good information.The link is here http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/plow_site_FAQ.html

If you have any more questions feel free to ask,you in the right place. :D Lots of knowledgeable members here on Plowsite.com
  4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite

You would want a 9ft plow blade. You would get great performance from a Fisher, Western, Boss, Blizzard.
    Besure to add timbren to the suspension.:waving:

Good Luck:drinkup:
  5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Your truck should be able to handle a plow fine with a set of Timbren's.
    if you have never installed plow before and are new to plowing, let the dealer install it... If you make one little goof & end up running over the plow it's all on you.. The dealer will warranty their installation and most likely reject a claim if your installed it yourself.
    Forget about what brand is best. It's more so about what dealer is close, what dealer will supply you with the parts you need at 4am when the plow breaks down as every single plow in existence will break down at the worst possible moment in a blizzard.
    Will you be able to find that $5 part at night or will you loose contracts and some major $$$ waiting until daylight to show up at the dealer who simply tells you "Sorry we don't have that part in stock we have to order it, It should be here in 5-7 business days". You will be screwed. All about dealer support...
  6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

GG has made good points about choosing a dealer with good support.

You mentioned that your F250 has PSD which is diesel, so it would be heavier on the front end, which will limit the carrying capacity of plow. So be sure to check the plow manufacturer website and look at kit selection guide. It should be able to tell you what plows can be installed on your truck.

It sounds like you are planning on doing alot of commercial plowing, so I would think V plow would be the best choice, but because your F250 is a diesel, a V plow probably would be too heavy. So again, check with the plow manufacturer kit selection guide and see what plows you can get. If V plow cannot be installed, then definitely go with 9' blade. It will plow more snow in less time, especially with most commercial accounts.

Usually the dealer would give you a price for a plow installed. It would be the best to let the dealer install the plow for you. So that way if something go wrong or break, the dealer can't just simple say, "It broke because you installed it wrong." Also it is quite a workout installing undercarriage. They ususally weigs from 50 to 100 pounds so try to image yourself holding them with one hand while you put bolts on with your other hand.