1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow info for my truck...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TurfPlow, Feb 1, 2010.

1. TurfPlow

TurfPlow Junior Member

I am considering plowing our parking lot here at a relatively small golf club. The lot is relatively large and I would say that I will need to plow 20 X/year on average. I currently have an '02 F-150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew. Could someone suggest what equipment would work well (if at all) on this truck, or do I need to start from scratch with new equipment (truck). Thank you in advance...

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Get yourself a mid weight plow. All of the major plow companies make one that will fit your truck no problem. Just use the plow quick match system that their websites have.Good Luck

3. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher HT...

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

A plow weighing in no more than 700# or so, and make sure it's at least 7.5/6 wide.

150's plow quite nice.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Dealer support and service is more important then brand.

7. c&msnowplowing

c&msnowplowing Junior Member

plow selection

I disagree with hydro37. After being in the business for 20 years, I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". Dealer service is not a concern if you buy highly rated equipment. As far as I am concerned Fisher is the best on the market. I plowed with a 92' 1500 chevy for more than 16 years with a mm1 7.5' blade,and never had a problem with the plow...ever! With a 1/2 ton tho, you will be looking at replacing pitman arms and idler arms just about every other year. 3/4 ton is your best bet. When going to 3/4 ton, spend the extra money and get a "V" plow....it's worth the money! Stay away from Blizzard and snow way! Sorry to the fans of those plows, but I know many who have these plows and HATE them! Also, tire selection is critical. I use the General Grabber AT2. Excellent traction!! Good luck!

8. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

"I've only plowed with Westerns, I live in a bubble, therefore Westerns are the by far the best plow ever. Even though the you can't buy a Western built the way they were 20 years ago, they're still the best hands down. Oh, and since DD took over Fischer, they're rapidly streamlining the plows to be the same, but obviously Western is still light years ahead. Why? Because I have Westerns, and no actual experience with other brands. That's why Western will always be the best, no matter what."

Doesn't that sound ridiculous/ignorant/just plain stupid? :dizzy:

Listen to the advice of Blade, Burkhardt, & Hydro. You'll notice they make no reference to make or model. They've obviously been around long enough to know better. :rolleyes:

9. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I have a question have you used other plow brands? You seem to be a serious Fisher fan, but, have you experienced the Blizzards, Westerns, Meyers, Snow-Ways, and so and so forth? I'm just curious here. I think answering those questions would help to make your stance more acceptable to some. Because it seems you're saying go with Fisher only based on a limited selection of your own experience. It is possible that you've not experienced many of the other plows that have great potential. Would you not agree?

10. c&msnowplowing

c&msnowplowing Junior Member

Plow Selection

To answer your questions....yes I have tried Meyers and Western. Hate them both. The trip design is horrible with wet heavy snow. To me, a blade that "lays down" when you put heavy snow in front of it is not effective when you have to limit yourself to taking half a blade of snow....especially when you are plowing a large area. Also, the electrical connections always seemed to short out. Look, I am not saying that Fisher is the only way to go. It boils down to personal chioce and experience. For me, Fisher has been the best for me so far. As for Blizzard and Snow-Way....I have two very close friends who have these plows. Both have been extremely unhappy with their selection. Again, trip design and electrical problems have plagued them since they bought them, therefore I don't recommend them. I do however have another friend who has one truck with a BOSS and another with a Hinicker.....very good plows so I am told.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  11. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I think this will help to show that your opinion is based in personal experience. I think some of the posters might have thought you were out of hand dismissing other plows merely on the basis of personal choice. Personally, I thought you were asked what plow did you like and you gave your opinion.

12. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I think to plow 1 parking lot 20 times a year you won't wear out that many parts and going out and buying a 3/4 ton would be overkill if thats all you will use this truck for. Your f150 will do just fine plowing, if you start driving more miles and traveling to different sites with the plow on then you might have to worry about wearing out the parts that c&m mentioned.

13. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

blizzard 760 speedwing or blizzard 8000LT

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I won't comment about your opinion of Fisher plows, but I will say that General should rename those tires General GARBAGE :laughing::laughing: They suck in the snow.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How big is the lot? You should measure and give us dimensions and square footage. That will help determine if your truck is up to the task. How big are those twenty events? I'm not familiar with your area, but is most of your snow light and fluffy or wet and heavy?

16. jomama45

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but something tells me the electrical problems between current Fishers & Westerns are ironically similar, as well as rate of occurance failures....................................................... :rolleyes:

17. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I would look into a Poly Moldboard plow... They are lighter for the same length and that will be easier on your front end. I think you should get one that can do multiple positions instead of just a straight blade. You'll probably find the ability to scoop effective in stacking.

18. jomama45

Are you sure about that?????

Most Poly's I've seen are heavier than their steel counterparts.

19. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Well Western has what 3 models of poly plows: the Mid weight, Pro, and MVP. And only the Pro Ploy plows are heavier according to this document from Western.

http://www.westernplows.com/specifications.asp?product=midweight#view

I was going by the western catalog... Hiniker's ploy plows are heavier than all steel counter parts but, I'm not clear as to all the differences between the high performance model standards and the heavy duty standard. If they had two plows of the same standard in poly and steel moldboard like Western does the comparison would be clearer.

20. jomama45

Yes, the Westerns are the minority, but pretty much everyone else's poly's weigh 30#+ more than their steel counterpart. Take a look @ Bosses lineup once.