1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow in Hi or Low gear?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Feb 10, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hi guys, I've got a question for you who plow with ATV's with the Hi and Low range auto tranny. Do you use Hi or Low gear when plowing?
  2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Anyone? (replies needed)
  3. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Whenever possible I leave it out of 4 wd when doing the condo's. The bfg's all terrain t/a's do a great job. When doing the parking lots it's usually in 4 hi. Unless the stuff is heavy, i'll drop it into low.
  4. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

of course, you're talking about a truck, not a quad like the poster asked about, so you are talking about something totally different.
  5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I useto use low gear it is easier on that small motor.
  6. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Low on the atv, high on the truck

7. Stan

Stan Senior Member

8. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have a lot of experience with the Polaris line. You should plow in Lo with them, otherwise you take chances of heating up the belt. I have always plowed in low and NEVER burned up a belt in 6 years of plowing hard with them.