1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow in Drive

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by glenspot, Mar 6, 2006.

1. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

I just read my owners manual for my new 06 F250... and it says to plow in DRIVE. If the snow is heavy and wet, then put the transfer case in LOW range and still plow in drive.

I couldn't beleive this. Thoughts?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

LOw range and "D ", is still much lower than High range and 1st. so, yes it's very believable.
  3. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

I hardly ever plow in 4low, maybe 10 times in 20 years and only to get unstuck or break thru a banking. But if the engineers think thats what you should do in wet heavy stuff? It will take you twice as long to do your route! Does it say anything about shutting overdrive off?
  4. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

I guess I was most amazed at the "plow in drive" part. It's been drilled into my head over and over again to plow in 1st....

On the related note, though, Low range in my superduty is just TOO low. I plow in High range and in 1st.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You want to turn off the overdrive so it does not keep trying to up shift.
    Less wear and tear on the parts. The overdrive parts are real expensive to replace on a rebuild.
  6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I agree with plowing in Drive and Lo range for the real heavy stuff, as long as OD is turned off. As far as the engineers go they could care less how long it takes to plow your route just so long as the trans holds up. I can only assume plowing in 1st gear only can be a real drag and very time consuming. On real heavy snow you must have some good speed to get it to wind row.
  7. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

The new 05' and 06' Fords don't have an overdrive button like the older trucks. It is the new tow haul mode. I plow in OD in 4Hi and turn the tow haul mode on. Is this different than turning OD off or the same thing? Just wondering. My 01' F450 has OD on/off so thats not an issue.

8. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I do not mean to hijack this thread, but I noticed that newlooklandscp is from Franklin Pk.
    A good friend of mine saw a red pickup truck covered in a "anti spy photo car cover" near Mannheim and North Av. (Franklin Pk.). It was being taken into the back entrance of the IH plant on a lowboy so keep an eye out, and Digital camera handy for any photo opportunities. He said it had large front wheel well flairs, and air intake grilles in the front fenders where the F350 logos are usually at.
    Sorry for the detour, back to the regular topic of discussion.
  9. J29

J29 Senior Member

OD Plowing

I always plow in 4Hi with the OD off. With these trucks, you really have to be going at a pretty good clip to get it into OD. I know on my truck I have to be going at least 45mph to have OD engage. Personally, I have never been going that fast with the blade down. Also, on the 6.0L trucks, there is no way to lock out OD. The tow/haul mode button took its place. This will just change the shift patterns, but it wont lock out OD. Too bad to, cause I like being able to downshift out of OD to help save on the brakes a little. I guess Ford doesn't think anyone ever used the OD off button. J.