1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow in 4x4 or Auto (or even 2wd)?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ghlkal, Feb 3, 2009.

1. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

I don’t plow commercially. I have a long driveway, but I do a fair amount of turning around too. (I have an '02 1500 with the 5.3)

Would it be “better” to plow in full-time 4 wheel drive, or in Auto 4 wheel drive, or even just 2 wheel drive? By “better,” I mean better for the drivetrain. Obviously, if the conditions warrant, I’ll use 4x4 to keep from getting stuck.

In the beginning I would always put it into 4x4 to plow. But, I was wondering if Auto would be better on the transfer case, etc (it’s easier turning for sure :) Lately, I’ve put it into Auto 4x4 and I’m able to push the snow fine.

So, any thoughts on which would be “better?” :confused:

Thanks

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

full time 4x4 if you can I read something on the chevy tread about not using the auto function.

3. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

I wouldn't plow in auto. It won't hurt anything but it is harder on the auto part of it. I plow in 4x4 and when I hit hit road I put it in auto. Just my opinion.

4. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

01-30-2009, 03:54 AM
    B&B
    2000 Club Member Join Date: Nov 2006

He wouldn't happen to be plowing in the "Auto" 4X4 position by any change would he? Thats a big no no with the 246's..doesn't take long to wipe the clutches out in one by doing so.

Second question, what fluid is being used in them? You HAVE to run the generals own AutoTrac fluid designated specifically for the auto position T-cases in that one. Regular ATF for MTL will damage them.

Here's a quote from B&B He's the man when it comes to the chevy's

5. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

I would plow in 4wd all the time if you are only doing your own driveway. Not a big deal ,won't stress out your drivetrain. I do 90 residential driveways been out 14 times already, just had to change both front u joints in driveshaft, last time I change them was 2 years ago. I find it is always good to run your 4wd components then not.

6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I plow in 4x2 whenever I can get away with it- plow in 4x4 when I can't. In the HD trucks there is no auto 4x4 function (like there in in the LD trucks and SUV's) 4x4 is either on or it's not- the way it should be IMO. I would tend to stay away from the auto function for plowing.

7. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

Thanks all. :salute: It looks like the consensus is NOT to use the Auto 4WD, but stay in 4x4, unless I can get away with 2WD.

The good thing is, so far I've only been plowing in 4x4 :)

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then your doing just fine. :nod: