1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow in 4x4 Hi or Lo ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Flatulentvandal, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Flatulentvandal

Flatulentvandal Member

Disclaimer: I searched and was not able to locate a thread on this, if there has already been one...

I will soon be putting a plow on my Sport Trac for the first time.. Since I consider my setup to be slightly under-equipped for the one contract I have; and its my D.D., I want to be as gentle as possible on the vehicle.

Am I better off plowing in 4x4 HI or LO ?

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

4 hi and go! I guess If you're doing small lots and under 5mph you can use 4 lo or if your pushing heavy piles of snow.
    Anyways 4 hi is good enough.

3. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

I usually push in 2WD unless I am steady losing traction.

4. ajslands

I did that last year until we got an 8" storm. But 2wd works good for those smaller snowfalls it even works going uphill

5. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

I'd put some weight in the back and stick with 2WD. Use 4Hi if you need it, if you're into something where 4LO seems necessary, you're probably beating on that daily driver way more than you should be.

You didn't ask, but if your SportTrac is newish, I'd hesitate to put a plow on it, I would think you'll tank the resale on it.

6. Flatulentvandal

Flatulentvandal Member

My Sport Trac is a 2001 with 80k.... I got it a year ago and plan to keep it till it stops breathing.....

So if I am gonna plow in 2wd, just put it in drive? (automatic) use a lower gear? Turn over- drive off? (not sure if that makes a difference at plowing speeds....)

7. ajslands

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live and do you get a lot of snow?

8. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

Just drop it in drive. You will never go fast enough for it to kick into overdrive.

9. Flatulentvandal

Flatulentvandal Member

ajslands If you don't mind me asking, where do you live and do you get a lot of snow?

I live in suburban chicago.... We get a fair share...

10. ajslands

I think with that little truck he's gonna need 4 wheel drive.

11. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I don't know how you guys do it in 2. I have 2 yards at least in the back, and almost always need 4 at times. I just keep it on to make things nice and easy. I hate losing traction and spinning.

12. ajslands

The first couple snowfalls of the season where you only get like 2-3" and your doing small lots it's easy. Do you use 4 wheel driv when salting?

13. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i don't think our old suburban plow rigs been outta 4wd for 12-13 years...snow's gone, they're parked til next season, yeah, they''ve been in 4wd for at least 12 yrs
    ..we bought several old forestry dept subs, vinyl floors, vinyl seats...beat the snot out of em...i have a plow on my 07 duramax, but rather plow with the subs cause they have some ass weight, and the reverse is considerably faster than the duramax

14. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

No, I don't salt in 4, but like I said, almost always plow in 4.

15. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

You will be able to use both 2 and 4 wheel drive depending. You will figure it out fast. Use some ballast. You have a light plow but it's still heavy enough to unbalance that truck. I put 400lbs of bagged salt right up against the back doors of the Trooper, and get great traction with the down pressure on. I probably am 50/50 on the 2wd/4wd depending on the type of snow/temp/surface (asphalt/concrete).

16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I'm with you Pristine, I've heard that on here before and it's hard to believe. I'm always in 4Hi plowing. I know the bigger rigs can do it but thats because they are weighted down so much.

Anyway I say you should be in 4-hi.

17. Division

Division Member

I use 4wd for anything over 3".... when pushing huge piles i will often stop and drop it in 4LO BUT ALWAYS make sure to put it back in high before tearing off across the lot!

18. mule585

mule585 Member

i use 2wd in light snow or until i need 4wd you will know when you need it. i use 4lo when stacking and pushing the wet heavy stuff. but my 1500 weighs about 7500lbs with plow and the 350 is about 11000lbs. id say use 2wd as much as u can youll save ur transfer case and front diff. exp. if you forget to take it out of 4wd

19. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I always plow in 4 Hi. I don't like to spin tires while moving a pile at any time. I have done it this way for 17 years now, and have never had any problems.

20. ajslands

Yes sir! :salute: