1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Idea??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by McG_Landscaping, Jan 5, 2013.

1. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

After tossing around the idea with a few people, does anyone know why they don't make an expanding v plow? A wideout v plow would be amazing. Perfect for many applications. Any thoughts?

2. I like it ! Just imagine all the Hydraulics!!!! I love my blizzard but just think 11 foot wide and able bust snow drifts!!

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

They will, right after we switch over to XLS's lol. If I remember right there was a post on this last year and a bunch of different opinions. Some said the weight would be too much, others said too many moving parts, on and on. I think that would be the ULTIMATE plow! One problem I see is you probably wouldn't be able to put it into full V position, there's not a lot of room back there now.

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I think weight would be an issue

5. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

Love the idea, but man that would be one heavy mother.....

6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

You could probably only put something like that on at minimum a F550 or heavier. Definately a medium duty truck minimum, but it would be awesome if they made something like that at all.

Or for that matter if they made 3 point V plows for tractors.

7. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

The XLS is a heavy mother..... But an expanding V wouldn't be that much heavier especially considering all the extra hydraulics would be on the valving side....... A V plow has how many pivot rams ? 2. an XLS has how many? 2. An expanding V would need how many wing rams? 2. An XLS has how many wing rams? 2.
    plus going to poly would offset the extra weight created by the centre pivot being the full height of the plow.

An XLS split down the middle would be 3" shorter on each wing than a 8.5 XV shorten down the blade stops and it would fold back just as far.

It's more an issue of valving/ serviceability and control side electronics being hard to design I would think.
    Like it would be completely incompatable with all of DDs current multiplexing and Fleet flex technologies and would probably require a complete redesign of the platform.

Did any one on the engineering side of things ever chime in in that old thread? I'm curious now

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  8. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I remember that thread, i think Boss should come out with it

9. Flawless440

I just emailed Boss with the idea.. Lets see what they sayThumbs Up

10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sure it'll be another "game changer" like they're last innovation!!!! :laughing:

11. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

Hey, tell 'em to add an adjustable flared top to the plow while they're at it. Keep visibility at a maximum while eliminating snow blowing back under changing snow conditions. Face it, guys, there's just not a nice enough full-featured plow on the market for what we're trying to do with them. Somebody's gonna have to step up to the plate in this country.

12. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Now who will be the first person on here to build their own?

13. Flawless440

Boss wrote me back and said.......

Jason,

Thank you for contacting THE BOSS Snowplow. We agree – Great idea! Our New Product Development Team is keeping very busy these days and this has been on the drawing board for quite some time.

We have some very exciting products coming out in 2013!

14. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

Working on it...

15. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Plus, when you lower the top you'll have better airflow to your radiator. If you add it in sections and make it able to pivot you can turn your plow into a one-way highway plow on demand.

While we're at it, add a hydraulically deployed/retracted backdrag blade, Hiniker-style forward flopping, downpressure, and a telescoping push frame...not sure what you'd use that last one for but it sounds cool.

16. CDC8002

CDC8002 Junior Member

For pulling snow from under trailers in loading docks, great idea!

17. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Hah! I make the ideas, you guys figure out how to use them. ;)

18. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

x2 but my design is based off of the Hiniker C-plow.

19. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

My 9'6" Xtreme V cost me enough as it is, and it's heavy enough as it is too. And it's plenty wide. A set of pin-on wings are all I want. Not even sure those are really needed.

20. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I can't think of any situations where I would need a plow to do all these things. I have a V plow and a plow with expandable wings. I can think of only one time when the snow was so heavy and deep that at this specific account I wished my Blizzard 8611LP could have formed a V. But that would only have been for 1 push in just to get started. I always wished my V plow was wider, but only when straight, so as to cut a wider swath. There are add on wings for that though. I guess if you have a V plow and wished it would get to 11' wide, you should have bought an expandable wing plow.

You guys are all much smarter than me though, so tell me in what situations this hybrid plow would flourish?