1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow ID?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

When I was at the restaurant this morning a bunch of us were talking about plowing snow. The owner who does some plowing for the town said Boss plows are much tougher built than Fisher, no comparison. So we got into the "No it isn't, Yes it is" routine. When he said the blade slides side to side, I finally figured out he wasn't talking about a Boss Snowplow. I thought maybe he was talking about a V-plow, but he had no idea what that is. Then he said that it has "Boss" across the front. He says it's a color between orange and red. I think he's talking about a municipal plow. Maybe Everest or Frink? He's also encouraged me to get a hydraulic sander and just hook into the plow hydraulics.

I also guessed a Blizzard with wings although there aren't any Blizzards around here.

Anyone know of a municipal plow that has the word "Boss" on it?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2003
  2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I know Frink used to manufacture a plow that the top of the moldboard would curl hydraulicly to make it foil to one side or the other but ive never heard of a plow that "Slides side to side" They were made for municipal use and also sold in a compact model for fullsize pickups. I think that someone bought the rights and has been selling the pickup models under the Trailblazer nameplate.

Jay

3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Someone may have just stuck a Boss sticker on that plow randomly? As far as the side to side feature goes, maybe that guy doesn't have a lot of plow experience? I mean I've forgotten to put a pin in when mounting plows, or had a pin fall out here & there while plowing, but I never considered the side to side effect that caused to be a benefit ;)

4. Santo

Santo Banned

Flink?

5. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, snowplowjay and BRL. That "side to side" has me stumped too. I don't know how much experience he has plowing, but I think it's all been for the town. Remember - he's never heard of a V-plow. I even lost him when I started talking about the difference in "full trip" and "trip edge". He acted like he was thinking "what's 'trip' mean". He's said too many "dumb" things over the past three years. I was wondering if somebody did something like paint "The Boss" on it. But when he was insisting that Boss was so much stronger built than Fisher, I knew something was wrong. Friendly competition aside, the best that can be said is they're similar in quality.

BRL - I agree. I would question the benefit of side to side action in that case, too. Maybe if you wanted a wing? I got a good laugh out of that one.

Santo - that what I was thinking. It should be a municpal plow.

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Flink is a name of a snowplow, or is that supposed to read Frink? Seeing how little this guy you were talking to knows about snowplows, maybe he made up the part about sliding side to side. Frink sounds like it would fit the color description though. Mike

7. Mick

from Maine

Frink is also the name of a snowplow manufacturing company. It is now out of business since last year. Both Flink and Frink are municipal plows

8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Thanks Mick. I have never heard of Flink but I have heard of Frink. I thought Santo just messed up on his spelling. Learn something new everyday. :) Mike

9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Flink is located in Illinois and here is their website just for you Mike :)

http://www.flinkco.com/

Jay

10. Mick

from Maine

Last edited: Sep 7, 2003
  11. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

That side to side mystery could be that the blade power angles. Seems some of the county and municipal guys here were amazed at the fact that you could angle a snow plow. They though that all of them stayed in one position.

On a humerous note. Had a guy in the shop once who asked what the notches in the side of the joysitick control for the Western were for. When I told him to angle the plow I got a funny look. Seems the previous owner sold him a power angle pump and control with an older manual angle blade. It had the brackets but no cyls. Used the pin to hold angle.

I put cyls, hoses and connectors on and he was in business. Said it sure beat getting out in the cold to angle the plow.

Jerre

12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I'm wondering what he describes as "side to side". Perhaps he is referring to the winds moving one side at a time? and he really was talking about the Boss Vplow, but didn't know what it was really called? I've talked to a few guys that work for the PW around here, and many of them don't know very much about smaller plows, or that much about plowing to begin with. Perhaps that is the case here. He thinks of a "vee plow" as the large fixed highway plows, and didn't know that the power v's for smaller trucks were also vplows? Who knows, but my guess would also be a Frink with the changing curve on the mold board, I saw pictures of it on a website once, it looked pretty sweet IMO.

-John

13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

It could be the angling or wings moving. I was thinking about a grade blade. Could he have been thinking this way? I have seen grader blades that could shift over to to shoulder work on roads. Maybe he saw one being used for snow removal. Or some sort of wingplow?