1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Hydro

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by RichG53, Oct 24, 2008.

1. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Does ant one know of a good hydro oil to use with a Hiniker plow other than their brand...There brand is $$$$....

2. torquet

torquet Junior Member

last year i couldnt find any hiniker fluid so i used Boss fluid when I changed it all out. It worked just fine. You can probably use the generic snowplow hydraulic fliud from somewhere like tractor supply.

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Any good snowplow hydro fluid from fleet farm or a similar store is fine. I know many people frown upon this but Ive plowed with several hinikers that were running regular ATF and they work fine.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'm frowning on the atf.:( You know 5w motor oil will work also

Get a hydro fluid with a. aw32 or lower ratting. The blue stuff will work.
    I use Boss fluid in all of my plows.

Don't be to cheep it is the life blood of your plow.

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Thats what I dont understand. I am going to school to be a Fluid Power Tech. and from what I have learned so far ATF is used without issue in many hydraulic systems. The only reason I can think of for not using it in plows must be the colder temps?

6. RichG53

Thanks.. !!! So I can use a good ATF. ? ? ? ? ? If needed.. Any time you buy a name brand it costs $$$$$$$$

7. RichG53

What brand of ATF GM, Ford, Dodge.. ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have been operating equipment scene I was 6yrs old Professionally scene I was 19.
    I have been irresponsible for a crews of snowcats at various ski areas. (There hydrostatic with at least 2 separate hydraulic systems.)

Like I said heavy equipment is allot different that a plow pump.
    In some heavy equipment they use atf, 10W motor oil, UTO and atf or something close to it in there hydraulic systems.
    Get this, some even use hydraulic fluid.

so why not use 10w motor oil?

Sure you could get away with it but let me tell you what can and will happen to you sooner or latter.

ATF has paraffin in it or lets call it wax.
    scenario is has been windy and cold drifting snow everywhere and the temp is dropping.
    Its 5 to -10 deg out side and our plowing along and your plow starts to slow down,
    you think it's your battery not keeping up.
    wrong....

What is happening is that the wax is separating from the oil and clogging your filter in your pump.

Unlike heavy equipment the filters are very small in our plows the wax clogs them causing your pump and motor to strain to pump the fluid.

Is your plow a automatic transmission or a piece of heavy equipment?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  9. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Is your plow a automatic transmission or a piece of heavy equipment?[/QUOTE]

Awwww, too in depth of a question. Next please.