1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Hydro Cutting Out

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Precision1, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Precision1

Precision1 Junior Member

I just installed a 01' Boss straight plow on my 95' F250 and the plow work's for a bit then stops turning but will raise and lower. I then will tap the relays and it will work for a bit. You guy's have any experience with this or have any ideas?

2. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i could cheak for split orcracke wires going into the relays, or even a bad relay connection. also cheack the ground and power wires on both the truck and plow sides.

3. themechanic43

themechanic43 Junior Member

I've seen a few straight blades with the long angle valve with 2 coils on it, 1 left and 1right, where I took the coild off and tightened the valve. It was loose enough that the ground was intermittent, yet the o-ring would still seal.

4. knowsbest

knowsbest Junior Member

do you have corrision on the relays

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Clean all the connections including the blades and sockets on the relays. Spraying a little Salt a way in the plugs will kill the galvanictic salts and clean the connections before you di-electric everything.

6. Precision1

Precision1 Junior Member

The connection doesn't look that corroded but the connections look alittle loose. I'm gonna clean everything and check all my connnections again. Thanks so much for the ideas.

7. themechanic43

themechanic43 Junior Member

As far as the relays are concerned, the only one related to plow function is the end one with 4 wires:
    1 brown w/jumpers

1 red

1 black

1 black w/red tracer This is the 13 pin harness.

This puts power to the controller and headlight switch. Being so, this would affect all functions of the plow. The rest of the relays are totally for controlling the plow lights. Make sure your angle valve coils are properly grounded and not loose. Even the nut holding the coils on could be loose. Grab the coils and if you can twist them on the stem by hand, that's probably your problem.

8. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

01' is when the had a problem with grounding? I don't think the grouding wire goes back to underneath the hood, it stays at the pump/motor. Usually with this problem it can be insufficent ground for the coils. You need to take the valve off and scratch the anodize (red) off of the block where the valve would make contact with the block. I had more than a hand full that would do this back in the day.

9. Precision1

Precision1 Junior Member

Thanks for all the help, I'm gonna try it all.