1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow hydraulic pump noise but no working functions

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by hayisforhorses, Feb 14, 2015.

1. hayisforhorses

hayisforhorses Junior Member
    from canada

No codes on controller and pump is running and lift cylinder takes a little strain but no lift. Pump sounds a bit whiney. Level of fluid good and good fluid fresh season changed. Lift cylinder date is 2010-6 -17 found a tsb that said cylinders before 2010-6-30had packing issues. Could that cause this? Shouldn't of it been addressed before plow was sold just a year old now

2. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

Your screen in the tank is clogged. Clean it with some brake cleaner and put in fresh fluid. I would change the lift ram as I had the same issue. I replaced it with a new one and knock on wood no plow issues with many hours this year!

3. hayisforhorses

from canada

Thanks for the info

4. mogeekn

mogeekn Junior Member

tech support is bs

I have had this problem all winter, but in MN we haven.t had much snow, so I really couldn't test it. long story short, back in NOV I had the entire thing apart, a lot of hours into it. I was emailing back and forth with tech support and basically they had me pull the internal screen and clean it. Never once did they mention to me the issues they were having with they're lift cylinder. Well im not gonna drag it out but 45 minutes of plowing and it quit again. I have lost over $1000 of revinue, my reliability is in question and one of my residentials didnt get done. Snow dogg not only failed to let me know until this last time, and with great hesitation. They also mentioned to check my "down valve" and when I inquired for more info because Im not a hydraulic tech, the support guy seemed irritated to be dealing with me. I bought my VMD brand new from a dealer. That dealer no longer exists, and I have to deal with a new place who recently dropped the ball by leaving my order on the desk, all weekend until I called and they realized their mistake. At this point Im pissed, not only will I be flushing my system for the 4th time in 4 months but paying for a lift cylinder they knew would go bad, didnt tell me, lost me business, and now Im waiting again for tech support to call me back and explain how to flush my pump before putting it all together again. but its OK I'll just keep waiting, oh paying agian for fluid + my time and lost $. Love my VMD, but very disapointed in Snowdogg tech support

5. mogeekn

mogeekn Junior Member

btw, I know what your saying. pump is running, loud and kinda whining but its as if theres no load against it, like its low on fluid. thats because the system is contaminated and Id rather snow dogg sent out a notification instead of letting their customers pay the price. My dogg is registered. They have my info

6. hayisforhorses

from canada

Above did not work so took to closest dealer they said it was froze up, they heated with heat gun and vacumed fluid out I asked them wouldn't it make sense to remove the tank and check screen due to the TSB on lift cylinder which I made them aware of and said it wasn't their way of handling the problem but would do it if I wanted it checked which I said yes of course. Called back said it was good to go and everything was fine on pick up screen build me $275.00 for this service and used my fluid because they were out .....lol took a screwing for not buying it from closest dealer. Went to pick us PLOw and with all cylinders out it was slow operating , tried to say issue was controller I left plowed a drive and the. Said screw it and checked fluid it was low added half a liger and worked fine done two storms since.

7. mengle

mengle Junior Member

I had the exact issue with my unmount pro. It turned out that one of my angle arms had a slight leak and was draining the fluid to the ground. Check for leaks at all connection as well any pinch points.

8. hayisforhorses

from canada

Haven't found any leaks