1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow hookup

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmk395, Nov 29, 2002.

1. dmk395

dmk395 Junior Member

I just bought a 1988 chevy dump truck with an 8.5 western plow. I am totally new to plowing so I wanted to hook it up and plow my driveway. I got it hooked up but seems when I drop the plow it goes down to far, picks up the front end nearly digs a hole lol What did I do in setting it up? I thought one simply pressed down on the controls and were ready to go. To make this work once I hit pavement with the plow I then have to raise it a bit, real PITA.....any help?

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

It kinda sounds liek the lift chain isnt in the right place, either too low or too high, i cant really figure it out from that vauge, either that or its the drop speed, does it drop really fast or slow? the quill may need to be adjusted too.:confused:

3. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Gravel drive? You have the shoe things set at the right level?

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

dmk395, I know what you are talking about. Usually on gravel driveways you will have to manually lift the blade just a bit. Just right above the ground. You will still hit some of gravel but not as much as if you just drop and go. It takes practice raising and lower the blades to meet the contour of the surface. Not all gravel driveways are perfectly flat. So at times you may have to raise and/or lower the blade to plow as much snow as you can without digging too much gravel.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Sounds like you have "Down Pressure" but since it's a Western, really sounds like normal operation for an unfrozen gravel surface.