1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Harvestman, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Harvestman

Harvestman Junior Member

Help!! I've searched the threads but just can't find the answer I'm looking for. I'm looking to put a plow on a f-250 and just can't seem to make a decision. I've got small to moderate sized comm. lots (1 Acre) and a few driveways that I'll need to backdrag.My local dealer carries Meyer,Western and Boss. I had decided to buy a Boss V plow until, I heard you can't backdrag with this plow.The dealer told me that the western v plow has some issues with the hydralics.The meyer plows don't seem to get a great review on the search threads.I know this is an old subject but any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Harvestman

2. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

I would get the Boss plow and get the smart lock clinders, that keeps the blade strait and won't let it move when u back draqg the boss is a heavy plow so when u set it will sink into the snow pretty good but if it is deep just go over it a couple times.
    Hope this helped some

Adam :D

3. Harvestman

Harvestman Junior Member

How much do the smart lock cylinders cost?

4. ddm

ddm Member

On the Boss V I just ordered the smart lok cylinders were an additional $ 150.00. I guess if you want to back blade they are a necessity almost from what others have told me. I am not familiar with the Western V system, so I don't know if they use something similiar or have double acting cylinders.

5. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Guest

I think its around $150.00 but if u buy a new boss and if you want the smart lock cylinders you pay less money cause they trade the standard cylinders that the plow comes with for the smart lock ones so it is cheaper and you pay less, so if u plan on getting the smart lock cylinders get them right away cause they won't take the standard cylinders back once u start to use the plow. If you did find out you wanted the smart lock ones later on down the road you can still buy them but you would be paying a lot more money for them. I'm not sure if the 150.00 is the price after trade or the origional I think its after trade.

Adam :D

6. Harvestman

Harvestman Junior Member

Does anybody have any experience with the Meyer our Western v's ? Pricing points or maint. issues. Or would any of you guys recommend just getting a streight plow? My head is swimming there are so many options I'm having trouble makeing a decision? Thanks Harvestman.

7. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Reply to Harvestman

Your right, way to many choices.I 'm trying to decided on a new plow for my 2001 2500HD Ext.cab either the Boss 8'2"-V for $4000.00, Western 8'6"-V for $3750.00. The thing I'm worried about is 3-guys around here say both V's drag when driving down the road, I know you can add Monroe Muscle or Timbren boosters but 2-of them have had frame problems 1- crack the other bent frame. I've plowed for 27 yrs. a never had any problems so when most of the plowers say make sure that you have a good Dealer for service work it makes me wonder. The Boss dealer said the cutting edge is a little brittle & tends to snap chunks off & smart cylinders are extra $$, snow deflector extra $$, and it's full trip blade but the new lights are great. The Western-V has trip edge blade with smart cylinders & deflector but has a chain to hold it up. Both have a shock absorber both weigh about the same 880# Western,Boss 860#. I've plowed with Myers ST-7.5 & C-8 straight blades with no problems to speak of you know I'm in the heart of Myer country. Not to sure on their New V- plow very light only 558# no smart cylinders,no deflector or shock, but you get a hyd.lift cover. Might go back to a straight plow! Did I really say that, maybe but not sure.

8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Depending on the truck, a V won't drag more than a straight.

For a quick fix, just extend each wing out slightly.

9. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Harvestman,

What were the problems your Western Dealer said he's had with the MVP? I have one on my 250 and it has never let me down:) No hydrolic problems, backdrags as good as any staight blade I've ever had. I've also never had a problem with the plow hitting the road.

Once you plow with one, it will be hard to ever go back to a staight blade:D

Greg