1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow help

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by rick4wd, Mar 16, 2013.

1. rick4wd

rick4wd Senior Member

i have a fisher homestedr that will go up and down good once but goes up slow or only half way

2. rick4wd

rick4wd Senior Member

i have a fisher homestedr that will go up and down good once. but then goes up slow or only half way. fluid is full . could it be air in lines. if air is in there how do i remove it

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Did it just start happening out of the blue? If you shut the truck and plow off and turn everything on again does it work again for one cycle and then on the second try only go half up. If there is air in the hoses it usually cycles its way out through the breather after a few up and downs and side to side motions.

4. rick4wd

rick4wd Senior Member

took moter off and it fell apart 2nd one thats done this

5. BBC co

BBC co PlowSite.com Addict

was it working fine before had you plowed with it at all, if so how many time/long? did you install it your self? how old is it, buy it new or used? what do u mean it fell apart what fell apart?

6. rick4wd

rick4wd Senior Member

the whole moter came apart in 3 pieces i got from guy who had a ton of extra for his plow not homesteder but had moter for a homesteder thorn in box it work for a 1 1/2 years fine wasnot plowing with it just added fluid after i fixed lose hose

7. BBC co

I had some issues with mine due to water in the system, it's a instaact pump not sure what the homesteader uses as mines a ld. But If you bought it used and have not changed the fluid then I would have started there and change the filter while you are at it. clean and dielectric the connections check grounds for any build up and clean. air would be released on it's own, water would be a persistent issue till the system has been drained totally and refiled and repressured. there is a thread on here about doing this the right way if you decide to do it lmk and i can find it for you.

also you can have the motors rebuilt for less then a new one may want to look into that if you have not gotten it back together or if you are not able to put it back together.

the more info you can give the more you are likely to get back

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  8. rick4wd

rick4wd Senior Member

where would get it rebuilt

9. BBC co

i woudl assume any elctronic repair place or a call or two would get you headed in the right direction. down here there is a company called A-1 battery in quincy ma I know they sell after market motors and they might do it and if they do may know of some where closer to you that does them. I think a after market insta act was 125 from them relatively cheap so i assume to rebuild them may be around half that not positive just my best guess. if it was my i'd buy a after market and have that one you have rebuilt for a back up but thats just me. what kind of truck you have it on a 1500? this off season you will be able to buy parts and plows cheap you may be able to find some thing used cheap to

pretty sure rebuilding is just changing the brushes and cleaning it not very costly, also is another reason for some issues some times if the motor is old the brushes can seize i've had people tell me to hit it with a hammer like a starter but thats another bad idea just they do fail and cause issues is my point

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  10. rick4wd

rick4wd Senior Member

well thanks for the info ill see what i do new moter is only 126 so might just go that route it is on a 03 tundra ill keep you guys updated on it when get parts and clean it in the warmer weather. also found a way to put springs on it insted of rubber springs

11. BBC co

nice well good luck, hope it does not take any thing more then a motor and fluid flush

12. rick4wd

rick4wd Senior Member

what is the proper way to flush it

13. BBC co

I do it with the plow on the truck, turning it to drain it was a bit of a challenge for me can't imagine trying it with out it at least pinned by the truck if you cant get it on

here this is where i learned from let me know if u need any more info. the filter can be bought as a kit with orings for the filter and a new stem, the kit comes with fisher directions packet, there are 2 filters as well upstream and down, the sown is sold seperate from the kit

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013