1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Help?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mullis56, Mar 6, 2010.

1. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

We are thinking of adding another 4300 to our fleet. It will be automatic with a 14' contractors body on it for now it will not have a salt spreader on it.

My thoughts are we add a Boss 10' Vee blade only issue is that it is a 4x2? We could carry a few skids of ice melt or something for weight and not have issues. I know a F550 we had plowing this year carrying 1-2 skids at all times never plowed in 4x4, any thoughts or experiences plowing with a larger truck like 4300, 5500 Chevy, F650/F750 4x2? Thanks!

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Something like the F-650 would make a killer dedicated salt truck, but for its versatility on plowing, I'd buy an articulating loader instead! Machines that can load & stack are much more useful for any job.

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have an older F-750 that moves snow in 2 wheel all the time no problem

4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

We run a 2000 - 4700 with a Western 10' HD. It's loaded with gravel real close to 26K, never a problem. These plows seem to be a little light for a truck this size though IMO. Check Neige's posts as well, he has an older International (I think it's even a SA) with a 14' pusher on it.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It will work just fine but like was mentioned a loader is a good choice too

6. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

That type of truck (if it's not terribly long) is ideal for parking lots. It will push just fine, and you can add some weight to ensure that. You can't buy most medium trucks in 4x4, so it's not like you're doing it differently than anyone else. Single axle is preferred, as it increases the drive tire PSI, which helps traction. You will seldom see single axle trucks have problems exiting docks, whereas "twin screws" will have wheelspin issues in the same circumstance.

Just make sure you have a good aggressive drive tire on it (F-450/550 guys can attest to this) , and don't try anything overly ambitious (rural driveways, for example) and you'll be just fine.

:D

7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

We ran 9 backhoe loaders this year and 11 skids. Looking for plow on a truck that will be useless in winter without one.

8. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

What do you have on the 4300 you already have.....

9. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

The (3) we have don't plow they carry Henderson FSM S/S 8 yard spreaders. This one will not currently have a spreader!

10. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

We have a 4300 full size with a 18ft bed on it. We have an 8611 on it and the thing plows awesome. You do need wieght. At least 2 ton or its to light and get pushed sideways. Nothing better than having 11ft blade. Stacks snow high, and pushes like a bull dozer. Its my favorite truck to plow in. If you look on my website you can see some pics of it.

11. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

WMHLC - Thanks, I'm assuming that is a 4x2 correct? Thanks!

12. Westhardt Corp.

Depending on the width, you could probably squeeze a spreader in the back of the contractor box, which might help.

13. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Yeah we have been throwing that idea around too, it could hold up to the size 8 yard spreaders we have on the other 4300's we don't have any other of our salt trucks that plow, they are only salt trucks. It is the norm around here to have only dedicated salt trucks and no plow but in some instances it makes since to have them together.

14. Westhardt Corp.

True, Depending on finance, I've always been a fan of hanging a blade on every truck that goes out. It's kind of a "OMFG" plan, just in case you need some backup in a big storm or a front line plow breaks down. The City of Chicago does this as well--they hang blades on the garbage trucks.