1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow help.confused on cutting edge and trip edge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JerseyAnthony, Jan 25, 2011.

1. JerseyAnthony

JerseyAnthony Junior Member

Hey Guys,

So after the storm with a new to me truck and new to me fisher MM2 (2001) and replacing some misc things like motor, s3 coil and solenoid she is running top. Heres a question though. This plow is different then my last plow on my old truck that was 1,2,3, change the cutting edge on the blade that trips. Does mine have a cutting edge, Am I running a trip edge only currently? I always find posts that talk about it but non have pictures so I took some pictures to clear things up for me as well as other people perplexed by the same question.

Let me know guys so I can scrape closer like my old plow.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Sooooo.......the pic you posted here............is the white part supposed to be what we are looking at :confused:

3. JerseyAnthony

you can't see the pictures?

4. Sal_Moides

Sal_Moides Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

cutting edge is the piece of metal bolted to the trip edge of the moldboard and looks to need replaced

5. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Now your pictures show, didn't when I posted.

Your cutting edge is worn down as far as the base angle on the plow and should be replaced.

6. fx4plowin

fx4plowin Member

+1^new cutting edge will do you wonders

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

put a new cutting edge on the plow and she will be as good as new. a world of difference.and maybe get some carbide cutting edge.curb guards to help even the wear on the cutting edge. Your blade edge will last a lot longer.

8. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Yeah you need a new cutting edge. On the back of the plow you will see the trip springs. You dont want to be dragging the bottom the trip springs on the ground.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

yep new edge help a lot.

and new edge = 150 ish you install easy job.

let blade wear to far and need whole new trip shoe assembly = $$$$ and not fun easy job to swap.

cheep insurance to replace the edges.

and get the 6" tall edge. not the 8" tall. trips to easy then you wont like it.

10. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

6" cutting edge with some new grade 8 cutting edge bolts,lock washers,nuts and you'll be back in business

11. JerseyAnthony

thanks so much guys, local shop had one for $115 made sure it was the 6'' also got the bolts for $1.25 a piece.

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

FWIW you should get about 2 inches out of a new edge so when it measures 4 inches change it out.

13. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

OK hold on a minute! You guys only run the edge until it hits the trip edge? I was told by 2 different dealers that you can run down to the angle brace on the trip edge:confused:

14. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Good god no !!! Take the information they said and listen .I usally chang my blade when I have1 to 2 finger width from trip edge and blade then change if not then go a little bit more but then you have to keep a watchful eye on it. Because like they said 115.00 is better than 515.00 to replace trip bar or more.When I work for IDOT we chang at 2 to 3 fingers usally 2 before it reaches mold board to prevent major damage Good LuckThumbs Up

15. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

x2 on that one

16. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

to scrape the best, also be sure that your a-frame is adjusted to the correct hole....that will make a difference!

17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I was told by several Fisher guys and a long time very reputable dealer yes you can run it down to the angle brace IF it will still clear the spring mounts. The spring mounts are the issue with when a trip edge needs to be replaced, not the wear from plowing. Remember- back in the day there were no bolt on cutting edges- guys plowed and wore out the trip edges and replaced them.
    Easiest way to guesstimate in most cases is measure the cutting edge bolted on- a new one is 6 inches, and you get roughly 2 inches out of them (some guys and plows can squeeze it to 3 inches) before the trip edge is worn to scrape the spring mounts (which will gouge pavement very badly in most circumstances especially windrowing over bumps).

Now, that said and looking at your picture more closely, the angle of attack of your trip edge looks very good- very aggressive like it should be and it looks like you have plenty of steel left there. Look at the spring mounts tho to be sure.
    A plow will scrape better with more pressure, which is created by weight (in plows with no down pressure) on the surface area of the metal touching the ground. Adding a cutting edge effectively doubles the surface area on the ground thus halving the pressure per square inch, reducing scraping performance.

Look at the pictures of my plow in my album to see height of the springs (mine scrape pavement going over the bump from the street into a driveway). My plow has never worn in correctly and still has 5.5 inches measured on the cutting edge - the original cutting edge from 1998 after all those years of plowing driveways commercially.

18. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Alright that's better, I can't imagine replacing the cutting edge every 2" that would be crazy

19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

well, mine is an exception- and wrong since I can;t scrape for crap and have to be careful not to gouge customers property. It's been established there is something wrong with mine but the dealer has no idea what and the Fisher rep I talked to about it has apparently forgotten.
    You will normally only get 2 or so inches of use out of a 6" cutting edge, and depending on your use plowing you may have to replace it every season, or more, or less. There was a member here who was drilling Fisher trip edged 2 inches lower to allow 4 inches of cutting edge wear...something I have been planning on doing for years once I get the wear issue sorted out.

What I wanted to point out was the height of the spring mounts are really the determining factor showing the wear on the trip edge.

20. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

plane and simple if your getting 2" of wear then remove the edge and let the trip shoe wear to the specific hight its designed to then add the edge and get the 4" or so of the wear that it will give you.

its that simple. pay for 2" wear on edges or let the main trip shoe wear down like designed just NOT to the spring mounts. or keep payin them cash . payup