1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow heater

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by glenspot, Jan 12, 2005.

1. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Are there any drawbacks or negatives to using a heater like this to keep the fluid and motor slightly warmed up on extremely cold nights?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-2469/c-10101

We have a stretch of -20 weather on the way. Last time the plow was slow moving to start. That can't be good on the hydraulics, or motor.

But does spot heating, like this thing seems to do, hurt anything?

Glen

I9519.gif

2. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I would service the pump, change the filter, and replace the fluid. I use trans fluid in all of my Western cable operated pumps, but I would use the newer type plow oil if I had the newer electronic selonoid operated pumps. Don't forget to change the oil in the angle cylinders too. I wouldn't bother with the magnet heater, a fully serviced pump should work in any cold weather (look at the plows in Alaska!) without external heat sources. :nod:

3. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

The plow worked.... and it was ok. Just somewhat slower than warmer weather conditions. And once I had been out for a half hour or so, it seemed to be back to normal.

Just thinking that...since I can't park inside...keeping the motor warmed up a bit might be a good idea.

Glen

4. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

I have seen heaters on e-bay for sale for your style of plow that uses the engine coolant to heat an aluminum sleeve that went around the pump. I guess you could use that idea and fabricate something along those lines. Even if you were to just wrap a tough heater hose around the pump, that might work (just be sure to put a shut off in case you get a leak so it won't drain the trucks cooling system).

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't worry about it- use the low temp hydraulic fluid the plow dealer sells instead of ATF and you'll be fine. I would add a block heater to your engine at that temp but I wouldn;t bother with the plow.

6. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Can't see it being necessarry. -20 is not cold, that is normal winter for my plows. Had mine out a couple weeks ago at -36 C and worked fine. I use the low temp fluid for sure but that was standard on my new plow. Maybe change the fluid to get the moisture out of it. I ran ATF in my Arctic plow for years, ya, it slows down a bit in the really cold weather, but never seemed to hurt anything.

7. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I don't see it necessary either. We switched to the blue hydro fluid which is better at low temps. Haven't had any problems, since the switch. As long as there is no water inside, the pumps should work with no problems. :cool:

8. maintenanceman

maintenanceman Member

I would worry that using a heater on the plow motor would cause water to build up faster inside the plow motor, likely causing freeze ups. It would be like parking your vehicle inside a heated garage and driving it outside in the cold. Water builds up in the gas tank causing frozen lines, i assume that the same would happen to the plow.