1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow heater for a unimount

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PTTP08, Dec 8, 2013.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Do they make a heater for a unimount? And does any body run one? Plow runs slow in the cold.

2. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

use western fluid maybe the pumps a little weak or the motors weak I've seen heaters that thread in to the fill port but have never used them

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What fluid are you running?

4. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Its probly the atf fluid thats what the guy ran in it before me. I think I'm ganna run to northern tool and get the blue stuff. I wanna buy the western fluid but its sunday and of course I gatta plow tonight.

5. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

maybe the fluid is a little low , happens with my uni once in a while, or just drain the fluid and refill with some new stuff and see what happens

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

any plow fluid will do fyi.
    buy a couple quarts more. your gunna flush out the old stuff so you might want to do the drain and fill a few times

7. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Put a floor jack under the plow jack up the plow Drian the fluid take off the hoses at the pump swing the plow left to right several times to get the fluid out of the rams

8. 98K3500

98K3500 Member
    from WI

Does it get better with use? I used to run a Western, and in bitter cold it would run slow the first 10 min or so before the fluid warmed up a bit. Hydraulics on my tractor are the same way...

If not - Your answer lies in the threads above.

9. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

Probably need to clean the intake screen on the pump.
    Take motor off, drain the fluid, scoop out the scum accumulated in the bottom of the tank, and spray off the screen with some carb cleaner. Should work like new.