1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow headlights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chtucker, Oct 28, 2002.

1. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Ok, now that you have seen the plow on the Excursion, I have a lighting question for you.

The lights that came with the plow are the Meyer 5 pin style which require some tapping into the stock Ford Harness. I REALLY don't like messing with that. The harness is pretty chewed up and a replacement costs $60

Option A, I have thought about just tapping the stock low beam wire and using a relay to activate the plow lights. The turns I would also tap and not use a relay.

Or option B, switch to a new headlight system. What do you reccomend? Are the meyer nite sabers worth the money? Generic replacements $160?

Or option C, Hella or PIAA fog lights mounted in place of the headlights?

Howard

2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

The $60 for a new harness may be your cheepest & best option in the long run.

No you cannot just tap into the low beams or replace the plow lights with fog lights.. It's a requirement to have un blocked amber turning signals... At least everywhere that I'm aware of. It's a safty issue. Plus you would have no highbeans.

If you wire the lights in some weird way good luck tring to remember exactly what you did & where you ran everything when something goes bad the next time.

Save your self some effort with the wiring & check out the Plow light wiring section of Chucks page...
    http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com

just my $.02

3. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I surely would do it safely. Using a relay and fuses. I did a search after I posted and did see the posts about the stock headlights reflecting off the plow.

Turn signals and High beams? Yeah I know. Pretty much doesn't mean anything here. You can drive on the streets (or to the bar!)with a snowmobile/atv/dirt bike/tube frame 4x4/whatever. The law enforcment around here is very lax. Nearest other town is 30 miles, so I don't travel with the plow more than a 2-3 mile radius of my house.

Would high quality fogs be of use while plowing?

4. long0

long0 Senior Member

Howard,

Why not just use a toggle switch mounted in the dash to turn the plow lights on. That seems like the simplest answer.

I have abandoned the use of plow lights on all my trucks but one. The only reason I still have then on my bronco is they are the old style metal lights, and I have not been able to break them off yet.

No problems with the law by not running them. I have to bungy my deflector down when travling on the road, to keep it from blowing up and getting in the way of the headlights, but that is only at night.

The plow lights that are on the Excursion in the picture look like they are only a couple of inches higher than your standard lights. Not real sure if they would be any more effective.

Andy

5. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I would just run a toggle switch to turn the plow lights on. All you will probably use will be the low beams so the wiring should be pretty straight foreward.
    Then just tap into the turning lamps on the truck for the signals if you need.
    You could use a 4 pin trailer connector to make a quick disconnect.
    One left turn, one right turn, marker lamps and one for the low beams then just ground to the mounts.
    I would keep it simple if I could and not cut up the factory harness if possible.
    Just an idea,
    Mark K

6. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

on our 450's we don't even have lights. quite often plows are transported too high off the ground which helps block airflow on the trucks. if you transport the plow angled and just high enough to clear bumps in the road, etc., the excursion lights should be high enough. yes, one of the turn signals will be blocked, but who's really looking. the only time we've been stopped in pa is when brakelights are obstructed by salt buildup.

i know my 250 4x4 is the same height as a 450 2x4, so i would assume the excursion would sit about the same.

just another thought to consider. or use your existing lights, a switch and relay. with that older set of lights, its a pain to splice. i never bothered wiring them on my small pickup and never got stopped.

7. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Thats what I have pretty much been doing for the last week. It has threatened to snow every night. I am getting tired already of getting up every morning at 4am to see if the snow has accumulated.

I did notice on the Excursion that driving with the plow up all the time raises the temp on the temperature guage (not the engine, but ambient air temp). I don't know where the sensor is mounted, but the guage reads 10 degrees higher than the bank.

Howard