1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow headlights only work when raising plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mike804, Jan 19, 2014.

1. mike804

mike804 Junior Member
    from N.W. MI

Hi folks,
    I am new to this forum and would like to ask for help in fixing an unusual headlight problem. I have a 2002 GMC Sierra HD2500 SLT with a 1995 Western Unimount 8 foot pro straight blade on it. I have used this plow since 2002 and all worked well until this year.
    The plow headlights low or hi beam do not come on unless I am raising the plow. Other than that the truck lights stay on even with the plow plugged into the harness. I need some help figuring this one out as it just does not make any sense. I have tried to plot out the kighting circuit to see how this can happen, but it makes no sense to me. I am mechanically inclined and understand the wiring diagram for the plow, even though it leaves much out of the picture. I still cannot understand how the plow lights will only come on during the raising of the blade.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can render
  2. myzx6

myzx6 Member

Probably a loose or partially broken wire, more then likely in the connector or the truck/plow connector has some corrosion. I'm not familiar with western but I believe the wiring is same as fishers, if so try spreading the male terminals carefully then add fresh dielectric grease