1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow headlights, one out

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by hopsing415, Dec 13, 2015.

1. hopsing415

hopsing415 Junior Member

Hi all, I have a 3 plug system with a 4 port isolation module and have 2 headlights out at all times. Low and high beams both have the drivers plow light and passenger jeep light out.I was told is was the ground wire on the plow drivers side so I checked the wire and have continuity from light to module. Have any of you had this problem and if so what am I missing? Thanks for help in advance.
    Patrick

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, more info.
    What truck is this on?
    And specifically what light is out and what lights are on?

3. hopsing415

hopsing415 Junior Member

'04 Liberty. drivers plow and jeep passenger headlights out, high and low beam.

4. hopsing415

hopsing415 Junior Member

all other light work

5. dieselss

6. hopsing415

hopsing415 Junior Member

All fuses are good. Been on the Jeep since the plow was new, 5 years ago.

7. dieselss

What i would do, start by test lighting the headlight connectors and see what your missing, power or ground, then start moving to other connectors and do the same.
    Anything done to the truck lately?

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Perhaps try isolating the problem between the jeep and the isolation module wireing by unplugging the Western harness and plug the OEM wires back on the headlight bulbs. If the Jeep lights work then you know it's in the plow system but if not then fix the Jeep issues first. The isolation module requires reliable signals from the vehicle to work properly. If the jeep lights work then I would swap in an isolation module, if you can borrow one for testing. If you don't have access to a module then you will have to do as dieselss says and trace the wires one by one...... But take my advice and don't poke the wires with a probe or the little holes will cause more problems down the road.

9. dieselss

But take my advice and don't poke the wires with a probe or the little holes will cause more problems down the road.

Yes. Exactly. Never poke the insulation. Good point Nick.

10. hopsing415

hopsing415 Junior Member

Great advice, thank you both. Done for the day today, no snow in the near future here in the Boston area so I have time. Thank you and will be back.
    Patrick

11. hopsing415

hopsing415 Junior Member

the jeep lights work when they are not plugged in, still think I need to isolate from the module? I will give that a try when out of work today or tomorrow but was thinking if it would make a difference since the problem only occurs when I have the 11 pin plugged in

12. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a unique problem here.

Any chance for any reason the iso module got unplugged and re connected at any point to do some type of service or maintenance on the jeep since last hook up?

13. hopsing415

hopsing415 Junior Member

Iso module not disconnected at any time. This is fun huh?

14. Philbilly2

What do you mean by fun?

15. Philbilly2

I have to ask... is the drivers plow headlight bulb good?

If you are able to check continuity, I am assuming you already checked that, but I just have to ask.

Can you also walk me threw the headlight changeover? I have read your post at least 20 times and I am still not clear:

EX:
    Plow unhooked - Both Jeep headlights work properly

Plow connected low beams - Plow lights on - passenger plow on drivers plow out

Plow connected high beams - you know the drill

16. hopsing415

hopsing415 Junior Member

I am a happy guy, by fun i mean it's fun and challenging at the same time. All bulbs are good, can switch them around.

Plow unhooked - Both Jeep headlights work properly

Plow connected both low and high beam - Plow lights passenger on, drivers out
    Jeep lights passenger out, drivers on

17. mishnick

This is either the isolation module or the wiring from port 2 and the headlights on the plow. Pull the wire out of your grill and have a good close look for any damage inch by inch. Look close at the pins in the grill plugs. If no damage is found then plug that cable back into the 11 pin headlight plug on the plow and check for continuity from the plug that came out of port two of the isolation module to the headlight plugs inside the plow headlight housing. The possible causes are: damaged wires, bad broken or corroded pins in the 11 pin plug or a bad isolation module.

It's time to either get out the multi-meter or start buying / borrowing parts to substitute in as a process of elimination.

18. hopsing415

hopsing415 Junior Member

Thanks Mishnick. I will let you know when I pin out port 2 to the headlight housing.

19. hopsing415

hopsing415 Junior Member

Port 2 to the lights all pin out good, continuity on everything I need. Module is bad? what are the chances of a module going bad?

20. mishnick

It is mostly relays inside so they do go bad.