1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Headlight wiring?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Drottlawn, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

So I sold my 8' pro plow to a buddy. My truck is a 2004 2500hd and his is a 2011 2500hd. It is a 4 port-3 plug plow. When I look up his light harness on westerns page it says that he needs 28400, 29420-1, and 28027-2. My question is on 28400. It includes a new isolation module in the kit, I think. Cant he use my old one and just get 28242 and 28244? My kit is a 27780. I think both use the green label module, right? Just trying to save him a few bucks.
    Any western wiring masters out there that can answer my question?

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Quickmatch is lacking a little on good info for newer vehicles with four port stuff.

The route they're sending you is using H13 harnesses, then converting back to HB3/H11 at the lamps, as HB3/H11 harnesses are not available for four port. Plus, a 28400 kit comes with a white label module... if you could even find anyone with that kit in stock. The four port kits are getting harder to find.

The 2004 stuff is HB3/HB4, and the 2011 is HB3/H11. The HB3 lamp is plug and play, and you should be able to use a 29458 adapter kit to go from HB4 to H11. The rest is the same.

One 29458 adapter kit... Boom! Done!

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You have to buy a headlight harness, if you get the three port harness and buy a three port module it will plug and play with the rest of your wiring and there would be a proper harness to fit directly to your late model truck lights. Adapters would be cheaper for sure but it's another pair of connections on each side to corrode and fail.

4. cubicinches

I forgot... The 26357, eleven pin from the 2004 truck won't be compatible. You'll need a 29861-3 eleven pin harness with attached relays for the 2011.

I agree that the three port module and 29400-5 harness kit is simpler, and eliminates the need for the adapters. Just costs more $$$... The difference is probably around $250, anyway.

5. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Just so I understand this right. He can use everything off my truck on his with the addition of 29458 and 29861-3? Just checking before I order these. Thanks and yes I am looking for the cheapest way possible.

6. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Couldn't he just use everything from my truck and just not have High beams? Since my low beam are the same as his hb3 low beams. Just leave the highs disconnected.

7. cubicinches

I suppose... Theoretically it should work. Never tried it.