1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Headlight wiring has me puzzled

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by horizon jay, Dec 19, 2014.

1. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

Ok so I got wiring for a fleet flex straight blade last year. Never got it hooked up on truck as it was a back up and luckily didnt need it. Went to hook it up today and my headlight plugs dont jive. I have a 2004 ford f-250 super duty with hb5 headlights. Western Quick match says I need harness # 29050. So that's what I got. Anyway after popping off headlight and looking at the plug I have no idea how this is supposed to work. Im assuming I need something else but not sure what or where. The factory is supposed to plug into the western to complete the cycle but the harnesses all say hb5 or hb1 which doesnt make any sense to me. Like this harness works for either? I was hoping someone could look at my pics and tell me what I am doing wrong here or point me in the right direction.... Thanks in advance!
    :mechanic:
    1st pic is western harness
    2nd pic is factory ford plug

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You need the headlight adapters

3. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

They make headlight adapters for the headlight wiring harness?! Seems like they should have came with it! At least I got the right harness (I just need more parts apparently). I appreciate your help! Thank you

4. dieselss

Well, not sure who you got the harness from, but sometimes people forget about them.
    A dealer should have known better imo if you did get it from one

5. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

I bought it locally used. I doubt they will honor it now if they have em (or if I have the #!). My fault for waiting a year! Do you know if they sell them separately or does it only come with the harness kit? Im not seeing them online (at least where I have looked). I really dont want to spend $150 or whatever new harness runs just for the adapters.... Thanks again I appreciate the help!

6. dieselss

Are you looking on westerns website, quick match?

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Hmm, not sure if I am out to lunch here but aren't those two way plugs? I mean there are four pins in the headlight harness ends so that you can plug in two different kinds of lights. If you look close at the black plug you will see it says HB5 on one side and some other type of bulb on the other side. I don't remember needing any adapters for those.....

8. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

Yes quick match is where I got the harness #29050. Did some digging and Found paypal email from purchase a year ago and emailed him and he called right back. I just talked to the guy. Apparently The black plug is universal. So My factory plug will plug into the side that says HB5. If I flip it and it says HB1 thats for that headlamp plug. So Anyway, I plugged it in on side that says HB5 and even though it didnt fill the plug (oblong and bigger than factory connect) it works! So the harness blue plugs into headlamp and the factory black plugs into harness black. There are tabs on each side (opposite sides) for the diff style (HB1 & HB5) headlamp. A little confusing but it works. Thanks again for your help!

9. dieselss

The blue goes to the trk light....the black one....isn't that the one that gets the adapter

10. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

You are correct. I noticed that but just figured, "Great what did I buy wrong..." It does indeed work that way. Thanks!

This was me earlier :realmad::confused:
    This is me now :drinkup:

11. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

I have everything hooked up now & my trucks lights turn off without plow on. Parking lights and turn signal work but no low or high beam.. Brand new iso mod. Wondering if there is a slap your forehead duh fix (besides unplugging the headlights and pluggin factory headlight back in). I dont have the plow here so I cant plug it in but bascially lights act like its got plow attached. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

12. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

I should add the headlights were both working when I started truck but when I hit turn signal the low and hi beams dropped out. Like it thinks the plows on.

13. dieselss

You have the plugs on the right way correct

14. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

I believe so. Which one? The black HB5 plow harness and factory headlight plug are plugged in right. My wire harness came labeled with A,B,C on it. So thats how I plugged it into iso mod. A is controller and lights to plow, B & C are to my headlights.
    Thanks!

15. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

Just went back to factory plug and they dont work. I blew a fuse. Wondering if I poked something with the ol coat hanger through the firewall to pull plug in trick.. This could be interesting. first thought was bad iso mod. Ill keep ya posted. thanks!

16. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

i have high beams but no low beams with and without plow harness. Any ideas?

17. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

I replaced hi beam fuse and now the low beams work. I don't know how or why the hi's worked and changing that fuse made the low beams worked but it did !