1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow headgear "folding" forward...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Sep 18, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I have noticed that the headgear on my Fisher plow "folds" forward towards the blade, "compressing" the raise/lower piston when I take off the plow from my truck. My question is- is this normal?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Yes
    You should put the plow in float and push the lift cyclinder all the way down before un hooking.

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

So, since it folds forward "by itself" after it is unhooked (I have it in float mode before unhooking it) I'm good, right? Just wanted to make sure this was normal, Thanks.

4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Anyone else's headgear flip forward by itself after unhooking?

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

That's what it's suppose to do, it's the reason you have to give the headgear that little "push" upwards to snap the pins in place.

6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

hes joking. hes got to be joking. tell me hes joking.

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

dude, this is his first plow. dont be a dick:realmad:

8. karol

karol Senior Member

good answer

9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

X2. bribrius, if you dont have anything nice to say keep your mouth shut.

10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Jeez man, shoot me for asking- I just wanted to make sure it was normal for the headgear to flip forward by itself! This is my first plow- I'll learn the tricks and mechanical aspects of the plow eventually!

11. bribrius

my fault. i was a bit quick on that response. guess we all have to learn sometime and i know i still have lots to learn.

i apologize. :nod:

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Don't be afraid to ask questions that's what the forums are for.
    Try using the search function on the gray line above. A lot of stuff has been addressed before. You can read up on it before you ask.

13. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

No biggie- thanks for the apology!:nod: I just wanted to be sure all was well with my new (to me) plow.

14. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Sounds like your jack stand might be abnormally high. I have one truck that is lifted enough that the jack stand is down so far that the headgear is very top heavy and tipsy and slams down onto the back of the plow. That could be the case, but unless your truck is higher than average off the ground, that might not be your problem.

15. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

The truck is not lifted- it's at the height of a normal GMC 2500HD. I just wanted to see that it was normal for the plow to do this, and if there was any easy way to keep the plow headgear upright for mounting?

16. bribrius

a. its suppose to stay on the jack. the jack stand is not suppose to come out from under it. if it does consider your surface and the height. you may have to throw a cement patio block or board under the stand or under the cutting edge on the plow itself. on dirt they tend to sink. also, there are only so many peg holes the jack can go into and if your dropping the jack stand in between holes then its going to really be dropping a addition quarter or more inch beyond the peg hole and your trucks height level. as someone else here said before unhooking it push the ram all the way down so the chains have play and arent tight. try to also to make sure your driving STRAIGHT into it when you go to hook it back on. cocking the truck to either side will make one side go in and not the other and push the plow.
    b. its suppose to tilt forward not be completley upright. you drive your truck "onto" it sort of speak but the frame ends will go into your truck brackets. it wont actually be in it except for the very ends of the plow frame. then push up the head gear. when you take it off. make sure the plow frame (peg holes with jack stand again) and truck are level or as close to it as possible. dropping the plow on uneven ground is usually not a good idea. if the truck isnt straight when you drive into it. if the stand isnt at the right height to make it level with the truck, if the head gear ISNT tilted down and the ends up enough to go into the brackets it will take more than a minute. im thinking when you pull out of it your knocking the headgear all the way down and flipping the jack up so it isnt flat on the ground. thats all i can say without seeing it happen in person. beyond this i suggest you try the fisher plow website. i never really thought much only had troube a couple times and that was because the plow either sunk or i wasnt driving into it straight. hopefully this helps in some way.
    i leave my cutting edge on the ground but always put my jack stand on something to keep it a couple inches off the ground. if i were you id throw a couple patio blocks or pieces of scrap wood under the jack stand and give it a try.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007