1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow headgear broke

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by collins590, Mar 28, 2011.

1. collins590

collins590 Junior Member

Anyone else experience problems with the western head gear? This is the second V blade we've had that has broke in the same place.

The 2x3 tubing used is only 14 ga steel, we made the new pieces up using 1/8 which is about 1.66 times heavier, so it should not give out. Cost was just $20 for the steel so I don't understand why they don't make it heavy enough from the factory.

IMG00018-20110328-0757.jpg

IMG00019-20110328-0806.jpg

IMG00021-20110328-0806.jpg

IMG00022-20110328-0806.jpg

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

weight they dont make trucks like they use2

3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

A sub of ours had the same thing happen to him during a storm...good thing it was a weekend storm and our mobile welder guy lives 2 kms from where it happened....frustrating isn't it??? Especially when its such an easy fix to make it right from the factory.

4. collins590

collins590 Junior Member

Theres hardly a weight or cost savings, it does't make any sense. Those two pieces we made up might weigh 5-10lbs more and they are way stronger.

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Times how many ultramounts does western make a year? It all adds up, and a company like dd is going to use the lightest material they can get away with and lasts through the 2 year warranty period. This has been an issue for a long time. Most catch it before they snap though.

6. collins590

collins590 Junior Member

Yes I know that it all adds but, but who wouldn't an extra $20 a blade anyways. That would be pretty much cost difference time 2 so they actually make a profit and provide a better product and no one really is gonna notice an extra $20 on top of an already $6000 blade.

7. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Makes sense to you and me, but not the bean counters or share holders... :gunsfiring:

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Those light tower pipes are a chronic problem and I agree they could be made a bit heavier. I have been asked by several experienced western guys to take brand new plows and weld some extra metal on the bottom end of the tubes right from the get go. Seemed silly at the time but they are now in their fifth season with those plows and have no signes of bending. Some of our customers even buy spare towers so they can do a quick changeover when they break. One thing I have learned the hard way is that there are at least two different types for the ultra mounts. There is a different part number for the multiplexed plow and the others. Multiplex includes the MVP Plus and the Wide-outs while all the others are the other kind. You can tell the multiplex by the plastic shrowd that covers the pump motor and valve body. If you do order one for standby make sure you get the right one!

9. collins590

collins590 Junior Member

I don't know If I'll get another western yet or not. Just put a fisher v blade on our 2011 f550 and I like that so I may go with the same option on my new f250. Still haven't made up my mind, benefit with the western is I'd have a spare v blade and they have better service here. The fisher is sold by parts for trucks which offers no service, I even have to install the blade myself, but I like the design a lot better. Seems to have a stronger tower and doesn't have the swivel in the a frame. I also like the fisher wideout better than the western and I might get one of them once I pay off the v blade. Though is the tower on the fisher does break it would be a lot harder to replicate. If I do get a western I'll be making a new tower out of heavier steel over the summer so I can avoid this issue altogether.

10. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Does this weakness apply to both the ultra mounts and the unimount?

MLG

11. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

This issue only applies to the Ultra mount system. I have never seen a unimount fail like that. The unimount used angleiron for their upper section, much stronger.

12. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

the "uprights" on the uni's are configured totally different too. the load bearing areas are transferred to the truck side mount through the upper links. which hellps

compariing the uni and ultra is like oranges to apples

in my recent research, ive seen this common with the V plows b/c of the added weight and the weight that gets transferred way out in front of the truck when in scoop mode, all that leverage acts as a multiplier

ill take pics and post them of the reinforcements that were done on my MVP 9'6" from the guy i just bought mine from. he had this occur to another ultra and reinforced this one as a precaution. simple to do if you have a welder or access to one

and as far as the post about multiplex. i really wish western never went to that electrical practice. being an EVS installer, i hate multiplex. it limits what the local installer and retailer can troubleshoot and also allows more parts to fail when they break. multiplex is also known for being sensitive to ESD and voltage variances. all that headache to save what, a few conductors? stuff like plows need to be kept simple stupid

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  13. pmrcco

pmrcco Junior Member

the towers on the fisher are just the same material, mines all rotted through right above themain frame getting the stock to fix it soon, will post pics tomorow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  14. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

i talked to western about them being so weak and there is an update for them if you contact your dealer

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

The update is a joke too. Better off just doing a nice patch job with some good material if you have the skills. This is one reason I'd rather use a trusty old Unimount any day. The Ultra's are great at first, but have that monkey try to mount or dismount one with ease a few years after when it starts to rust like that. Early Ultra's are nothing but problems once they start showing they're age. JMHO