1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow head light is dim

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dneiding, Sep 22, 2008.

1. dneiding

dneiding Member

One of my plow head lights is very dim (yellow looking instead of bright white). The lights bulbs themselves are brand new; the old one was the same way so I replaced them but that obviously didn’t work.

What could the problem be? A bad ground?

Thanks in advance,

Derek

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of plow lights, what kind/type of plow, and what kind of truck would be helpful. ;)

3. dneiding

dneiding Member

85 Chevy K20. Western cabel operated plow. The lights are square and the plastic housing says Meyer so I assume they are not the original Western lights.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok more than likely you do have a ground problem. Some of the older Meyer lights were grounded directly through the mounting bolt so in addition to checking the wiring make sure to check inside the light, as well as the mounting point itself for good contact.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Might even check all the ground lines on the truck under the hood. You can get stuff feeding back to ground in weird ways.

6. iowaplowboy

iowaplowboy Member
    from Iowa

Yep, ground. Find some good metal and CLEAN it before attaching ground.

7. MECHMAN

MECHMAN Junior Member
    from 37924

The overall voltage of the truck could be low also. Those old chevys usually sit around 13.5V, which can accentuate a poor ground. Bumping the voltage/alternator up to around 14.7V will really perk up lights and pumps.

8. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

meyer lights r just crappy learn to drive in the dark. All joking aside at least you found out that it dosent work now insted of the middle of a storm.

9. MECHMAN

MECHMAN Junior Member
    from 37924

You could always just add some more halogen driving lights to the plow booms, it makes a big difference. Make sure you run ground wires directly to the battery or chassis grounding point. Trying to ground through all those bolts makes for a poor connection.

10. dneiding

dneiding Member

It was a bad ground. I rewired the ground wire and all is good now.

Thanks!